Author Topic: Making bread in a slow cooker  (Read 72832 times)

stacelee

Re: Making bread in a slow cooker
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 01:12:41 am »
I wish I had never read this thread.....one thing led to another and I've now bought a new rice cooker with a fermentation and bake function.....argh....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 02:02:13 am »
 ;D ;D  I'm sure you will use it stacelee.  Even if you don't bake the bread in the SC, it would be a good way to prove it in winter.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2014, 02:57:31 am »
Judy I have a 5 liter SC in an oval shape do you think this will be too big . I make the no fuss bread and Vienna loaf all the time but may have to buy smaller SC  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 03:18:23 am »
Mmm, not sure thermo18, check the book that came with your machine.  Has it a bread recipe in it?  Are the quantities anything like the no fuss or vienna loaves?  It's worth a try though using the no fuss because that has more flour in it then the vienna loaf.  You don't have a lot to lose by giving it a go before going to the expense of buying a smaller model.  I haven't tried any bread in my 6 litre SC but I guess I could try putting the dough in a bread tin inside it to see if that worked.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 06:08:11 am »
I have just measured my Breville SC and it is 5 liters.  I didn't know as my DIL gave it to me.  So the No Fuss or Vienna recipe will be ok. 
Today I bought a small SC, 1  1/2  liters.  Cheapie at Safeway.  $20.  Will play with it and see how it goes.  Usually when I make bread in cut itin half and freeze 1/2. With this,  If it worked, 1 loaf every 2 days, or for visitors, 1 small loaf.  Will report back. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 06:40:21 am »
I'd say my slow cooker is only about 3 litres. . We bought a cheap one years ago to see if we liked it. Touch wood it is still going strong.
I'll have to give the bread a try. Will use the no fuss recipe.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 09:20:13 am »
I love this thread!!!!  Haven't tried this way of cooking bread yet but you ladies are really inspiring me!!  Well done!!!!

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 10:48:46 am »
I wish I had never read this thread.....one thing led to another and I've now bought a new rice cooker with a fermentation and bake function.....argh....
Staclee, what brand did you buy? Is it a rice cooker and a slow cooker? I have a Ronson 5l (I think) and it cooks too quickly to use as a slow cooker. I haven't used it for years, great for soups when having a party in winter, but otherwise is a waste of space. A fermentation function sounds interesting.

Judydawn and Chookie, great thread  ;D will be trying out some bread out, love to use appliances for a few functions.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 09:23:57 pm »

Bought a 1  1/2 liter SC for $20 at Woolies.  Made 1/2 No Fuss recipe.  Baked 1 hour and 10 minutes. Can now make one small loaf every day for 50 cents.  Ha.  What fun

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 09:44:31 pm »
Wow Chookie, that's fantastic!  :o

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 10:06:28 pm »
Thanks Judy and Chookie I will give it a go and see what happens, I have seen these 1 1/2 liter SC in Target also for $20 might look into this as it would be a perfect size for two people. I would rather bake a loaf everyday and have no left overs and give the freezer a rest
Chookie that loaf looks so good  :D

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 10:09:23 pm »
Looking good Chookie. Such a simple process for a great result   :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 12:46:00 am »
Thanks Judy and Chookie I will give it a go and see what happens, I have seen these 1 1/2 liter SC in Target also for $20 might look into this as it would be a perfect size for two people. I would rather bake a loaf everyday and have no left overs and give the freezer a rest
Chookie that loaf looks so good  :D
There are just the 2 of us. most of the time so this is a good size.  Put chicken wings in with a Chinese master stock before we went for the papers and they were cooked when we go home. Going to try SD today but in the big pot.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 01:53:56 am »
Great loaf Chookie, the testing hole really stands out doesn't it  ;D   Can't wait for your SD experiment, it could be so much easier than normal method if it works.  One of the reasons I don't make it often is the long rising times and you have to almost set a day aside when baking it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 11:20:10 pm »

SD cooked in mini SC.