Author Topic: Lid locking and cleaning lid area at sides  (Read 9061 times)

Offline elmonty

• View Profile
Lid locking and cleaning lid area at sides
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »
I have just got my thermomix but as I was cooking and then adding the final ingredient the lid would not lock. Also the side area where the lid turns into keeps getting mixture in it. Does anyone have an east tip to clean this?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lid locking and cleaning lid area at sides
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:04:35 pm »
Hello elmonty, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Is your lid seal correctly In place?  You need to hear it click at various points around the lid whilst you are inserting it.   I use a little brush or the end of a chux type cloth to slide in and out of the groove, it is simple to clean.

This is the brush I use - http://thermomix.superkitchenmachine.com/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:15:03 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:23 pm »
Welcome Elmonty,  congratulations on your purchase you will love it, I have two bowls and one of them is tight to close I usually have to give it a hard push sometimes two or three times just one of those things the other is really easy,  I just get my dish washing cloth, not a sponge, hold it taught with both hands about 10cm  or three inches apart and feed it into the groove and move it back and forth it's not a big deal and easy.    Enjoy your machine.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:11:38 am »
There are also cleaning brushes from an Australian supplier here, almost identical to the Super Kitchen Machines ones Judy has given you the link for.  If you are cleaning the side where the lid locks into place, for safety, always make sure you turn off the machine first before you go prodding about in that area.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:13:16 am »
I found my lid quite hard at first actually, but soon became easy-peasy - not sure if it was confidence in how hard to push it or if they need a few goes to become easier.  I recall my demonstrator even found it tough on delivery, so suspect they do become a little easier with use.

I think if you are taking the lid on and off several times you are more likely to get some food into the grooves - keeping the lid flat when you lift it off can help stop the sauce (or whatever you are making) running onto the edges of the lid where it can then get pushed into the grooves when you close it.  If you pop your little measuring cup onto the bench, you can then sit the lid flat on top of that without the lid actually touching the bench.

I usually just slide a cloth into the grooves on the side too, although I do have one of those little brushes too - great if things have got a bit caked on in there (if I haven't noticed it right away - especially after DH makes something!! One messy cook!)
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:38:13 am »
I can only add one thing to the wonderful comments above. When you take your lid off always turn it upside down as you do, and then put it down upside down, as Jo suggested on the MC. This stops drips going everywhere. ( just re read Jo's comments and now I have repeated them  :-\).

Give these hints a try and let us know how you go. I actually use my kitchen hand towel to wipe the grooves. Often if you get stuff caught there your seal isn't in correctly as Judy mentioned.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline elmonty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:01:12 am »
Thanks for all the tips. I seem to have got it working ok now.
Good tips about removing the lid.
Elaine

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 08:28:59 am »
That's good news.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/