Author Topic: Venice  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Venice
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:25:37 am »
Has anyone been to Venice fairly recently?  We are going later this year (just for a couple of days) and I am trying to figure out the best area to stay and some reasonable accommodation.  Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Re: Venice
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:36 pm »
We have visited several times and will be there again for a week in September.  Firstly I would always stay on the island and not the mainland.  It's the real Venice.  The one you read about and see photo's of.  It's great to stay near or on the Grand Canal and close to St Mark's Square.  We have stayed once and will be again staying at the Continental Hotel which is close to both.  Last time we stayed at the Bauer Paladio which is on Giodecca, another small island a few mins boat (which they provide) ride from the main island.  It's a beautiful hotel but perhaps not the place to stay if you haven't been there before. 

What dates will you be there?  We arrive on the 2 Sept and will be staying for 7 nights.  PM me if there is anything else you want to know or we can help you with.  If you are going to be there when are lets get together!!!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:31:04 pm »
Thanks Trudy, wouldn't it be fabulous if we were both there at the same time, I would love that but, unfortunately, we are there at the end of the month!  It looks as if there may be a festival or something happening around about the time we are planning to be there so a lot of accommodation is fully booked already.

It's our first, and probably only time we will be in Venice, but I will definitely look into the Continental and also the Bauer Paladio.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:48 am »
Good luck!  We are there in time for the Regatta.  Have seen it before so happy to be there again for it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:14:27 am »
How very exciting Marina. Trudy it sounds as though you thoroughly enjoyed it. My brother is up that way at the moment, I'm not sure if he is going to Venice but will check with him. They are in Genoa at the moment.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:27:45 am »
How very exciting Marina. Trudy it sounds as though you thoroughly enjoyed it. My brother is up that way at the moment, I'm not sure if he is going to Venice but will check with him. They are in Genoa at the moment.
Thanks, Cookie.  Hopefully he will also have some suggestions.