Author Topic: Banana & Pineapple Ice-Cream  (Read 11045 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Banana & Pineapple Ice-Cream
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:30:08 pm »
Name of Recipe: Banana & Pineapple Ice-Cream
Number of People: 4 serves
Ingredients:
1 banana
150g fresh pineapple
150mls plain low-fat yoghurt
150mls cream
Sprig of mint, to decorate

Preparation:
Place cream into the bowl and lightly whip with the butterfly in on speed 4 until soft peaks form.  Remove from bowl and set aside.
Without washing bowl, add banana and pineapple pieces and puree on speed 8 (Sorry, forgot to time this)
Add yoghurt & beaten cream.  Place butterfly back in and whip 10 sec/speed 4.
Tip into a shallow, metal dish (I used a 20cm square cake tin) and freeze for 2 hours.
Crystals should form around the edge.
Place mixture back into bowl and blend 25 seconds/speed 8.  Return to the freezer.
Repeat this procedure twice more - it gets thicker each time.
Freeze until firm.  Remove from freezer to soften slightly before serving.
Decorate with mint to serve.

Photos:

Members' comments

Chelsea - I just put a double batch of this in the freezer.  It won't be ready until tomorrow, but the custard tastes very good.  I added 2 tablespoons of powdered rapadura to the mix to compensate for the tang of my yoghurt (organic potset).  My boys are already so excited!
This froze really quickly (cold ingredients) and was ready for dessert tonight.  I only had time to whip it twice but the texture was still really lovely.  A nice cross between ice cream and frozen yoghurt as you would expect from the ingredients.  We weren't 100% keen on the flavour combination, but that is just personal taste.  We will use this recipe as a base to explore some different combinations - perhaps banana and strawberry next.  Thanks JD

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:55:37 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Banana & Pineapple Ice-Cream
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »
Judy did your DH enjoy the ice-cream?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:15:17 pm »
That looks lovely.  I think I may have to give it a whirl tomorrow.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 02:18:08 pm »
Judy did your DH enjoy the ice-cream?
Would never offer him ice-cream in winter Cornish Cream as I know he would refuse it.  He really feels the cold and that would make him even colder.  I sometimes even have to warm his drinking water.  All the more for me  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hestonfan

• On my way to becoming a domestic goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 03:05:52 pm »
I am inspired! Glad it turned out so good  ;)
Gabry from Adelaide

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:54:20 am »
Like the look of this,  JD.  Will have to keep it for Summer.   No room in the freezer.   Thanks again.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:45:29 am »
I just put a double batch of this in the freezer.  It won't be ready until tomorrow, but the custard tastes very good.  I added 2 tablespoons of powdered rapadura to the mix to compensate for the tang of my yoghurt (organic potset).  My boys are already so excited!  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 01:14:41 pm »
I do hope they will like it Chelsea.  Don't forget to take it out a good 15 minutes before serving as it does set as hard as a rock.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 01:27:16 pm »
This froze really quickly (cold ingredients  :)) and was ready for dessert tonight.  I only had time to whip it twice but the texture was still really lovely.  A nice cross between ice cream and frozen yoghurt as you would expect from the ingredients.  We weren't 100% keen on the flavour combination, but that is just personal taste.  We will use this recipe as a base to explore some different combinations - perhaps banana and strawberry next.  Thanks JD. :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:34:05 pm »
I've been going through a bulging cookery folder recently because I've been looking for inspiration for the TM and have found a couple of untried recipes for ice-cream.( thought you might like them but not converted)The first is called lemon curd ice-cream but is more a frozen yogurt,fold 340g of natural yogurt( not the set type) into 340g of homemade lemon curd  then freeze "After 3-4 hours you have the most luscious citrus ice-cream"
The second is Brown Bread Ice-Cream
85g brown breadcrumbs
85g soft brown sugar
3 large eggs separated
1/2tsp rum
280g double cream
85g sifted icing sugar.
Mix the breadcrumbs and brown sugar, place on grill tray and grill for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until dark and caramelized.Cool then break up with a fork.
Whisk egg whites until stiff.Mix the egg yolks with the rum then fold into the egg whites.Whisk cream and icing sugar until floppy, then fold into the egg mixture, with the breadcrumbs.Pour into a shallow freezer container and freeze.
This comes from a newspaper article that I took out years ago by a cook called Sue Lawrence.I have found some others recipes by her one of which is called Tomato Summer Pudding, but I will give that a go at conversion so I don't put you all completely off my recipes ;D
I realize that the brownbread one  has "raw" egg, so it's a "no no" for some people but someone might like it ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:53:48 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 06:43:31 am »
CC,  these look good,  infact will make the lemon on today and put in the freezer,  Sue Lawrence generally writes good recipes,  although unusual.  For 25 years I subscribed to English 'Country Living'  magazine.   She was one of the contributors .  Keep looking through that folder. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 08:13:21 am »
Yummy combo of flavours JD.  Shane about Geoff not liking cold things!  But yes - more for the cook !

great recipes CC - will copy them to another thread.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.