Author Topic: Habanerosauce tabasco style  (Read 81877 times)

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
Re: Habanerosauce tabasco style
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 03:08:22 am »
Thanks for your prompt reply Gert! I figured it was just from the sugar cane plants from qld, but I've never looked for it/seen it in coles/woolies before. So are you recommending I buy specific cane sugar? (sorry I am a bit slow! :-\  )

stacelee

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 03:14:58 am »
If anyone in Australia wants some Haberano seeds once summer comes, just let me know.  I had a look at my plant/s this morning and there are only a couple of chillies at the moment but it will be covered again in a few months....I can always mail some out.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 04:05:20 am »
If anyone in Australia wants some Haberano seeds once summer comes, just let me know.  I had a look at my plant/s this morning and there are only a couple of chillies at the moment but it will be covered again in a few months....I can always mail some out.

Yes please some for me.

me.
Thanks for your prompt reply Gert! I figured it was just from the sugar cane plants from qld, but I've never looked for it/seen it in coles/woolies before. So are you recommending I buy specific cane sugar? (sorry I am a bit slow! :-\  )

Cane sugar is just sugar. Same same. We use cane sugar in Australia is what I am saying. CSR is cane sugar. In Asia you will find they use palm sugar more than cane sugar.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 06:24:33 am »
oh ok, thanks Gert  :D

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 06:54:18 am »
Wow this looks fantastic. I'm am going to make this for DH's birthday, he goes through tobasco sauce like milk (well nearly!) What would I substitute for the cane sugar? I have palm sugar, is that the same thing? Or just ordinary raw sugar? THanks  :)

Bubbles. I bet you he will never go back to tabasco lol..

Like gert says, cane sugar can be replaced by other sugar, but since cane (at least here) has a bit more flavor then white sugar, i prefer to use cane sugar... It also is a bit less sweet i think than white sugar...

Have fun!
Live life to the fullest

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 01:25:08 pm »
Stef, thank you sooo much for this recipe. My DH LOVES it, and because it makes so much, I divided it in thirds and gave a bottle each to his keen hot sauce eating mates-they also LOVED it :D :D :D
Judging by how much my DH is using it on every meal, I think I will be making it again very soon, and keeping the 1 litre to ourselves!
(And you're right-he actually said "I'm never going back to tobasco sauce")!

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 03:45:25 pm »
Stef, thank you sooo much for this recipe. My DH LOVES it, and because it makes so much, I divided it in thirds and gave a bottle each to his keen hot sauce eating mates-they also LOVED it :D :D :D
Judging by how much my DH is using it on every meal, I think I will be making it again very soon, and keeping the 1 litre to ourselves!
(And you're right-he actually said "I'm never going back to tobasco sauce")!

Bubbles,  i am very pleased to hear your DH and company love the sauce.. Lol i try not to make idle promisses..  The taste is so more complex compared to the tzbasco sauce..   So i guess now you have to try my hp sauce too lol...

I hope you will enjoy " stef's tabasco sauce" for a long time to come!
Live life to the fullest

stacelee

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 03:23:04 am »
Gert,

If you want to pm me your mailing address I have habanero seeds dried and ready to head your way.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 04:52:48 pm »
Impossible to get Scotch Bonnets / Habaneros at the moment, not even by post.  Went to an Asian shop today and bought some of their green chillies (the hottest they have) and will make the sauce with those tomorrow.  Won't be as hot though.  However, possible good news is that a friend who goes to Barbados regularly is off there on Wednesday and that she should be able to get some Scotch Bonnets to bring back for me.  Keeping fingers crossed - again!

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 04:54:13 pm »
Impossible to get Scotch Bonnets / Habaneros at the moment, not even by post.  Went to an Asian shop today and bought some of their green chillies (the hottest they have) and will make the sauce with those tomorrow.  Won't be as hot though.  However, possible good news is that a friend who goes to Barbados regularly is off there on Wednesday and that she should be able to get some Scotch Bonnets to bring back for me.  Keeping fingers crossed - again!

JB
Ooh sorry to,hear julia..   The color will be different too, but i am sure u will like it
Live life to the fullest

Bonsai

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 02:55:05 pm »
DH made something similar using Naga chiles and nearly blew my head off. I've labelled the jar carefully to avoid nasty accidents. It is really nice mixed with other food, just don't lick it off the spoon. We had a bumper crop of chiles this year so have sauces, dried ones, ground ones....   Still some plants flowering despite it being winter in Perth.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:31 pm »
Made this morning with the green chillies and you are right, it has a lovely buttery texture which is wonderful. Everyone who likes the hot stuff should make this!!!  

I tasted a bit on the end of a teaspoon and it was hot, but less so than with Scotch Bonnets.  As you said, the colour is different - a rather unintersting brown (see photo) -- and would be nice to compare with the SB version, when I can lay my hands on some.

Thanks for such a great recipe  ;D

JB

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 02:58:48 pm »
DH made something similar using Naga chiles and nearly blew my head off.

I am not surprised Bonsai  ;D  I have yet to try Nagas ...

JB

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 03:04:49 pm »
Made this morning with the green chillies and you are right, it has a lovely buttery texture which is wonderful. Everyone who likes the hot stuff should make this!!!  

I tasted a bit on the end of a teaspoon and it was hot, but less so than with Scotch Bonnets.  As you said, the colour is different - a rather unintersting brown (see photo) -- and would be nice to compare with the SB version, when I can lay my hands on some.

Thanks for such a great recipe  ;D

JB
You are welcome julia!  I am glad u like it..   If you would have used green tomatoes instead you would probably have had a nice green color lol
Live life to the fullest

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2012, 07:33:43 pm »
Just to let you know that today I took delivery of Scotch Bonnet chillies via friend who went to Barbados for holiday ;D and am now in process of making the sauce 'properly'.

JB - who has been out of action lately due to dopey tablets >:(