Author Topic: Red Velvet Cake  (Read 35751 times)

Offline Snapper

• View Profile
Red Velvet Cake
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:17:04 am »
Hello.  Would anyone know of a Red Velvet Cake with icing recipe?
Thank you for any feedback or links!
Snapper

Adding the recipe here to save people scrolling down to find the one DinkiDi provided.

http://thermovixens.com/2011/08/29/ohhh-red-velvet-cupcakes/
Red velvet cupcakes

Ingredients
 200g plain flour
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 10 grams cocoa powder
 60g butter, at room temperature
 180g white caster sugar
 1 large egg
 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 1/2 cup buttermilk
 1 tbs red liquid food colouring
 1/2 tsp white vinegar
 1/2 tsp bi carb soda

Cream Cheese Icing

250g cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g icing sugar, sifted

Method:
 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (non fan forced)
 2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
 3. In the bowl  beat the butter until soft 20 seconds on Speed 5
 4. Add the sugar and beat  until light and fluffy for 30 seconds speed 5 
 5. Add the egg and beat for 10 seconds speed 3.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl. 
 6. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined 5 seconds speed 6
 7. In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food colouring.  With the TMX on speed 3 and running, alternatively add the flour mixture, and then the buttermilk mixture to the bowl.  Do this in three additions, ending with the flour mixture.
 8 .In a small cup combine the vinegar with the bi carb soda.  Allow the mixture to fizz, and then quickly mix into the  batter 10 seconds speed 6
 9. Now they said to work quickly – but I couldn’t and it didn’t seem to make much of a difference. Divide the batter amongst your prepared muffin cups.  Smooth the tops
 10. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (my oven was 15 mins)
 11. Cool the cakes on a wire rack until completely cool.

Icing:
 1. To make the cream cheese icing place the cream cheese in the bowl TMX with the Butterfly attachment. Beat the cream cheese until smooth 20 seconds speed 4,  scrape down the bowl.
2. Add the vanilla and icing sugar, and beat until the mixture in nice and smooth for 20 seconds speed 4.  You may need to add more icing sugar to get the right consistency. 
 3. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes and crumble your “sacrificial” cupcake and top of the icing with those lovely red crumbs!!

Hints & Tips
 • I forgot to put the butterfly attachment on for the icing, so it may come up a bit fluffier if you use it.
 • I used TMX Raw sugar, that I had previously made into icing sugar.  Doing this will give you an off white colour for the icing – so I do suggest you use the white icing sugar
 • You could use anything to decorate these little puppies
 • You can use this mixture to make a cake and put the cream cheese filling in the middle and the top
 • Most Red Velvet cupcake recipes I found, used around 20ml of Red colouring or like this recipe 1 Tablespoon.  That was a bit too much for my liking, so 1 only used 1 Teaspoon.  If you are conscious of what colourings go into your food, just use the 1tsp that I did.   
So far I have liked this recipe out of the ones I have tried.

members' comments

CateCanCook - I made Red Velvet Cupcakes for Valentines Day - here's the link to my blog http://catecancook.blogspot.com/2011/02/valentines-day-recipes.html

andiesenji - The Red Velvet Cake Recipe on my blog does not use red food coloring. It uses maraschino cherries which have a faint almond flavor, in addition to the cherry.  The cake is very moist and lovely.

maddy - The thermovixens recipe above is a beautiful texture! This recipe I used Queen pillar box red (1 Tbsp.), and it was perfect....no taste or smell. The cupcakes themselves only have a hint of cocoa flavour, so they are fairly neutral tasting....that's where the cream cheese icing comes in. I don't use the TM for cream cheese icing, as I find it makes it sloppy, even once chillled....so I whip it using a mixer.
The cream cheese recipe I used was:
250g cream cheese
195g sifted icing sugar
100g soft cubed salted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:13:44 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Red Velvet Cake
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:23:37 am »
Hi snapper, welcome to the forum.  I've never heard of this cake but found this recipe which would be so easy to do in the TMX.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Red-Velvet-Cake-L7335.html
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:31:46 am »
wow  :o so much red food colouring...that would be just over half a MC in there... (no wonder its red)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 04:49:34 am »
Is the red food colouring one of the 'bad' numbers, I would never use more than a few drops of food colouring myself and even then it would be a very rare occasion.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:22:34 am »
Don't know this cake,  but would beetroot juice be a good subsitute. ?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:28:14 am »
Welcome to the forum snapper.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Snapper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 04:55:18 pm »
Thank you all for your input.  It's a common cake in the US especially in the south.  It can be lengthy to make; I was hoping my TM would help me shorten the regular recipe.  Thanks for the link and thanks for the welcome Cookie1!
Snapper

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:27:58 pm »
Welcome Snapper.  Sorry, I had never heard of the cake, but I'm sure it would be able to be converted easily. Good luck
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CateCanCook

• View Profile
    • Cate Can Cook
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:26:30 pm »
I made Red Velvet Cupcakes for Valentines Day - here's the link to my blog

http://catecancook.blogspot.com/2011/02/valentines-day-recipes.html  :)
Cate - come visit me at .....

www.catecancook.blogspot.com

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:22:51 pm »
Good one Cate  :)
I have wanted to make a red velvet cake in the past, but the food colouring factor did turn me off.
Now I'm not sure if my memory is imagining this, but I'm sure I read you can buy a red colouring, particularly for this cake, and it doesn't have a taste or smell to the regular food colouring  :-\  Will check it out.
Beetroot juice could work, but I'm not sure if the sweetness would affect end result?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline CateCanCook

• View Profile
    • Cate Can Cook
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 11:35:33 pm »
I would think that the beetroot juice may alter the flavour.  It is a really mild flavoured cake (almost a vanilla cupcake really) - the cream cheese frosting adds the flavour.  Try the beetroot - let us know!!!
Cate - come visit me at .....

www.catecancook.blogspot.com

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:08 am »
I have made a beetroot and chocolate cake (nonTMX recipe) and while it is deliciously moist, I think you can still definitely taste the "earthy" beetroot flavour, even through the richness of the chocolate - so I think that if the red velvet cake is mild in flavour, you would definitely be able to taste the beetroot in it.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:16 am »
The Red Velvet Cake Recipe on my blog does not use red food coloring.

It uses maraschino cherries which have a faint almond flavor, in addition to the cherry.  
The cake is very moist and lovely.  
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:52:00 am »
aha thank you Andie!! I could not for the life of me make the cake with colouring, I would suffer the consequences for about 6 months  :o :o but DS number 4 has wanted a RED cake for sooo long after seeing a picture of one. Accepted that it was probably never going to happen, didn't stop the wishing though. I might surprise him for his 6th birthday on Monday  ;) ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Tsmacks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 11:55:03 am »
Hi snapper, i know you posted this a long time ago and i hope you found a great red velevet cake recipe. I am also looking for the same recipe for Christmas cup cakes and am struggling to find one already converted??

i just googled thermomix red velvet cake  and came across a thermomix site in a different language which had a red velvet recipe, unfortunately i couldn't read it but found on my google toolbar a translate option which converted it all for me. i will continue to try to copy the link although I'm not  really computer savy!! hope this helps a little..  :' :-))