Author Topic: Beef Rendang EDC  (Read 24290 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Beef Rendang EDC
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 09:27:21 am »
I made this tonight for the first time (I have only had my TM for 2 years  :-))) and we really enjoyed it.  I made a half batch as I only had 500g of beef.  It didn't look at all appealing, but the flavour was lovely.  I tipped the leftover coconut milk in with the rice water to flavour the rice. Yummy!

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 03:27:57 am »
What sort of beef did you use Chelsea? I've always wondered about how tender it comes out so havent given beef a go in the TMX yet.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 09:18:31 am »
Brazen, we just ate a version of your version and it was delicious!   ;)
lol
i think all recipes are a version of a version ;)

must make this again soon!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 12:56:31 pm »
What sort of beef did you use Chelsea? I've always wondered about how tender it comes out so havent given beef a go in the TMX yet.

I used diced blade steak and cooked it for 40 minutes.  My husband commented how tender it was and assumed it was rump.  :)

Offline Kazza14

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 12:24:16 pm »
Had this tonight, it was lovely 8) A little hot for us perhaps but I will make it again perhaps with a little less chilli. I threw in some cashews too as didn't have the correct amount of beef. I wish the curry recipes would indicate whether they are mild medium or hot :o ;)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 12:27:13 pm »
This is one of our favs, dont find it too hot, just love it.

Glad youenjoyed it.

Hally :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 01:54:34 pm »
Made this tonight, pretty much "by the book," used frozen shredded coconut that I got from an Indian store.  Cooked for 50 minutes (used chuck steak) and would have liked to do it a little longer but it was getting late, the meat was tender enough, but another 10 minutes would have been better.  My husband is a huge rendang fan and where we used to buy it in Melbourne it is quite a dry curry--so his comment was that "it wasn't the rendang he knows and loves".  Having said that, we liked the flavours and I will definitely cook again.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 04:32:02 pm »
My husband thinks the TM is worth its price for this recipe alone!  What I do, is make the normal recipe for the normal time.  Then tip into a big pan/pot & cook for a couple of hours.  I can't get fresh coconut & don't like shredded in curry, so dessicated works best for us.  The extra time in the pan makes it thicker too.

Offline JAM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 02:19:38 am »
I have made this twice now and was delicious both times!

The first time I did a half batch and think I cooked it too long (and had the MC off), as after 43 minutes it was completely dry and the beef was starting to shred - taste was still superb though, pity that there was no sauce!

The second time I decided to do a full batch of ingredients (except only 700g beef) and l cooked with MC on then took MC off in last 10 minutes to thicken - this turned out perfectly!

I added extra chilli as I found it had no heat to it with one long red chilli, so I put a birdseye in there as well the second time around.  I served it over cubed steamed pumpkin, carrot and red capsicum, poured extra sauce over and made a complete meal out of it.

5/5

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 11:12:29 am »
I have no idea what a rendang should taste like, but we loved this version using brazen's tweaks. The flavour was amazing and just hot enough for us.  Served over chookies coconut rice with some vegies stirred thru. Will be making again.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 03:36:25 am »
I'm in a fix.

Planning Beef Rendang for tonight's dinner. But not sure if the TMX  will reduce the gravy to almost dry and whether the beef would end up shredded. That's what happened to my first time cooking of soya sauce chicken yesterday. 1kg of chicken breast looked like tuna fish in a can after my poor attempt :(

Other options:
Pressure cooker - but I will still have to cook it like normal on the stove to reduce the sauce
Le Creuset - most used option
Thermopot - might be the most energy efficient way. Not sure as I haven't tried it before.

Hmmm.....still thinking..........do I take another risk after yesterday's tuna-fished chicken??

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 04:32:36 am »
Can't answer your question re the Thermomix version BZB but have you seen this part TMX version from MF?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 05:12:16 am »
BZB re chicken the thigh fillets I find go better than the breast in the TM as they don't shred like the breasts do.

I can vouch for MF's rendang it is beautiful I do it in a large saucepan and cook for 2-3 hours till it is soooo tender

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 05:33:22 am »
Can't answer your question re the Thermomix version BZB but have you seen this part TMX version from MF?

Thanks JD. Came to the same conclusion whilst I was blitzing the spice paste and removing the fat from 1 kg of chuck steak.  Will use the same process as MF, which is my usual process anyway.

Mine is Malaysian Beef Rendang so no kicap manis.

Is there a more effective way to blitz the chilli paste into a fine consistency? I chucked my chopped up (roughly) ingredients into the TM and tried speed 8 for 10 secs. Followed by countless rounds of scraping down and 5-10 secs on speed 8. Still looked rough. Gave up after about 6 rounds.

My ingredients: dried chillies, galangal, ginger, lemongrass, candlenuts, onions, garlic.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 05:39:13 am »
BZB re chicken the thigh fillets I find go better than the breast in the TM as they don't shred like the breasts do.

I can vouch for MF's rendang it is beautiful I do it in a large saucepan and cook for 2-3 hours till it is soooo tender

Thanks Yvette.

Will try chicken thighs next time. DH gave me the thumbs down yesterday. Sigh.