Author Topic: Thin and crispy pizza dough  (Read 122517 times)

Offline mab19

• View Profile
Re: Thin and crispy pizza dough
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 03:49:39 am »
This is a bit of a silly question but I will ask it anyway.  Can the pizza stone that comes with the weber bbq be used in a normal oven?  I have only ever used it in the weber and DH has packed that away for the winter so just wondering if it would work in the oven.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 03:55:36 am »
Margaret, is this the one you have?  If so, this is what it says.

"Your grill is a great place to bake pizza! This stone is specially made for gas grills but will work on any grill or oven."

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 04:35:19 am »
No Judy that is not the one.  Mine is round and has a metal tray with it that you put the pizza on.  Thanks anyway for the link.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 03:32:36 am »
We love love love this dough. My daughters birthday last month I premade enough of this dough for 9 pizzas, and put it in fridge. (Of course it still rose,I  probably should have done freezer and taken out earlier) We had 12 adults and 9 kids here and I ended up throwing on another batch to make an additional 3 pizzas. I had borrowed a pizza maker oven from a girlfriend as I was contemplating buying one but couldn't decide. After this night I ordered four can you believe??? It was so awesome, and so social. I rolled and we had all the ingredients cut up. The kids decorated half each and the adults filed through making up a pizza and we all shared them. They cooked in about 4 mins and they were all eaten beautifully fresh. (my fav was the roast sweet potato and pumpkin with feta and some rocket thrown on after) was a perfect way to feed that many, and sooooo much nicer than ordering 8 pizzas or something.

Now we own a pizza maker, this is my go to quick dinner. I make sure i have artichokes and sundried tomatos in the pantry for just such aoccasion. The best pizzas usually only have a few good key ingredients, and there's nothing like fresh dough!!!!
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline cgonsalv

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2012, 10:56:56 am »
Lilli33 was there a difference  between the one that rose and the one that you made later which did not have time to rise.  We have some members of our family who like them fluffy and thick, while I like them thin and crisp.
Chris (Melbourne, Australia) - Thermomix Forum addict

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 01:44:13 pm »
Well tbh, the one that I made instantly was lovely and pliable and not sticky. If you know what i mean. So nicer to work with. There didn't seem to be a big diff in performance. But if either was left a bit thicker, it puffed up beautifully. Do without being a true 'pan' pizza we could get thin n crispy and a thicker base. If that helps?
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 02:05:50 am »
Can I ask a really stupid question about pizza stones??  Are you supposed to put the pizza directly onto the stone, or onto a tray that sits on the stone? 

We use this recipe for pizza dough, and put the pizza onto a tray and into the Weber BBQ, with the tray sitting on the stone.  I cant seem to get the bases crispy enough without burning the topping.  However, we also use a non-stick liner on the tray (a bit like reuseable gladbake paper), and I am wondering if that is "insulating" the tray a bit from the heat of the stone, and that is why the pizzas dont cook properly
Karen in Adelaide

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 03:51:29 am »
Karen I was advised when I bought mine, to place some baking paper on the stone, then pizza on top.

SO I now make my pizza on the baking paper and transport straight to the stone. Makes cleaning and lifting the pizza off easier.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Thermolicious

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 03:57:38 am »
Ta - I will be using this recipe tonight! :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 11:54:39 am »
Love this recipe,  but also have trouble crisping the base.   New trick...I heat a large cast iron flat grill and slide the pizza on to this,  for a couple of mins. Seems to work fine.  I also spray with oil around the edge of the pizza.  Gives it a nice crisp edge.

jakodai

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 10:41:50 pm »
Thanks DG, I have a pizza stone and wasn't sure how to cook with it. I don't have anything that I could use to 'scoop' it off with. This makes sense!

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 11:03:14 pm »
I use a pizza lifter I got from a kitchen shop too. Makes it very easy to lift the baking paper and pizza off the stone.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Thermolicious

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 01:30:41 am »
We made this Fridsy night and it is the best pizza base we have had.  Reminiscent of those gorgeous Italian restaurants in Freo :)

Mama Fergie

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 03:22:29 am »
I made this on Monday night and it was the best pizza base I have ever made. My only problem was getting it fom the bench into my pizza maker. Worried that if I use the baking paper method that the paper may burn in the machine. Has anyone tried doing this?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 04:37:59 pm »
I always use baking paper MF - only way to go  ;D You make your pizzas up on the baking paper before transferring to the pizza maker (and leave some room on the sides so that you can pick up the paper afterwards)

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand