Author Topic: Appealing soup for 2 & 4 yr olds?  (Read 16407 times)

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
Re: Appealing soup for 2 & 4 yr olds?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 06:46:58 am »
I have a 7 yr old DD who isn't too keen on soup so have started using the soups I make as sauce for pasta. I make sure I blitz the soup I am going to use for her pasta. I recently made cauliflower soup which I called "white soup" and she wouldn't eat it so I cooked up some pasta later and poured some of the soup over it and and she came back asking for more. Three bowls in the end. The rest of us like to eat the soup but she gets pasta & "sauce".

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 12:30:20 pm »
Thats a great idea RoxyS. I think changing the name is a great idea.
Merlin & hopefulcook, you have done well to have your kids eat such a variety of soup. I will keep working over on it this winter, small steps :). I am going to try a cauliflower and cheese one next, and if they don't like it, then I'll pour it over pasta and call it sauce  ;) Infact I'll think of a good name in the first place instead of 'soup'.  :-))

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 12:53:05 pm »
Hi Bubbles, I noticed you were talking about names for soup. I have heard a few successful stories of women who have named soups by associating them with their children's favourite characters. So pea soup could be something to do with Shrek and Fiona. I would try and give you more examples but I am a bit out-of-date with children's characters! I hope my explanation is clear enough :-)) :)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:35 pm »
Bubbles- THE number one rule with kids is to NOT call it soup!! I call my creations anything but! For instance, pea and ham soup is green gloop. Minestrone is witches stew etc- you get the idea. Same thing as I never refer to broccoli by name. My kids know it is broccoli but we call it green trees.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 03:23:39 pm »
My three boys (aged 3, 5 and 7) love Quirky Jo's Chicken and brown rice soup.  We have it with toasted croutons (I get a long baguette from Woolies and slice it quite thinly, coat with oil using a pastry brush and bake in  hot oven for a few mins till lightly golden). You can use either the Chicken stock or the EDC stock (I've tried both and both are ok but I only use 1 tablespoon of stock paste, too salty otherwise). I also chop the chicken for a few secs on about speed 5.

A regular in our house and I often hide veges in there they wouldn't normally eat by chopping them finely). Ohhh also it's quite thick which I think is easier for kids and less messy !

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/creamy-chicken-brown-rice-soup.html

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 01:30:29 pm »
I can see Amy and Merlin that I need to get far more creative! I was never good at the arts/drama classes at school :-)) But yes, changing the names sounds like a great idea. My kids are very stereotypical with their interests i.e.) DD likes princesses fairies etc, DS likes dinosaurs, cars, tigers etc so I will have a think about names that appeal to their interests..
INfact I feel quite silly that I have been persevering with the soup name for the last few weeks!  :-))
Thanks for the link Debbiebillg, it sounds promising because my kids like both chicken and rice, oh and they love store bought croutons so thanks for your tips on making the croutons  :)

Offline Lisel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 01:33:49 pm »
My kids only like thick soups, DD asks for pumpkin soup several times a week but anything except tomato is fine, as long as it is not a broth based soup, odd, I have no idea why.  I made a yummy veggie and kidney bean soup recently, DD complained and DS's showed their displeasure by ditching it over the side of their highchairs (they are all about self feeding so I thought they'd like the bit sized pieces) so the next day I threw it back in the TMX, turbo'd it and everyone happily ate it.
Vegetarian mum to carnivores DH, DD and twin DS's.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 02:07:14 pm »
Ah don't you just love the ditching it over the side of the high chair stage :-))

Bonsai

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 02:28:22 pm »
showed their displeasure by ditching it over the side of their highchairs (they are all about self feeding so I thought they'd like the bit sized pieces) so the next day I threw it back in the TMX, turbo'd it and everyone happily ate it.

Hope it wasn't the bits thrown off the high chairs that got turbo'd !  😉

Offline Lisel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 08:12:38 am »
showed their displeasure by ditching it over the side of their highchairs (they are all about self feeding so I thought they'd like the bit sized pieces) so the next day I threw it back in the TMX, turbo'd it and everyone happily ate it.

Hope it wasn't the bits thrown off the high chairs that got turbo'd !  😉

Lol, there are days when I've considered it! 
Vegetarian mum to carnivores DH, DD and twin DS's.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 01:38:29 pm »
Lisel, I remember when my twins were in high chairs. I think we had practically the entire kitchen floor covered in plastic sheeting due to the amount of food thrown, dropped, you name it! I don't think I need to explain anything to you about what it's like. Even though we are well and truly beyond the chucking stage I still seem to be permanently sweeping up a mountain of food from beneath our dining table. It's like a cyclone hits our dining room whenever we eat a meal. Obviously the rule of thumb is that the amount of mess is inversely proportional to age although my 19 yo stepdaughter often competes well with the 5 yo twins in the making a mess stakes! totally hear you!  :-)) :-)) :-))
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 06:33:52 am »
my kids love pumpkin soup, pea and ham, chicken soup, :)

when my kids were in high chairs we fed them on the deck... then hosed it down..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 10:38:49 pm »
Mine liked cubed bread in soup.
Fresh, or toasted or even occasionally fried for crunchiness.

Oh the high chair stage! I do remember.