Author Topic: 'Eat Your Greens' Little Cakes  (Read 21777 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
'Eat Your Greens' Little Cakes
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:04:13 pm »
Name of Recipe: 'Eat Your Greens' Little Cakes
Yield: 40 mini muffins
Ingredients:
2 Eggs
100g Oil
90g sugar (I use rapadura)
150g broccolli (I used mainly the stems)
1 medium zucchini
75g flour
75g wholemeal flour
25g cocoa (3 tbs)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs milk

Preparation:
Blend the broccolli and zucchini very well - speed 9, approx 20 seconds.
Add the eggs, oil and sugar.  Speed 3, 10 seconds.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Speed 3, 10 seconds.
Spoon into prepared tins and bake at 190C for 10 minutes or until springy to gentle touch.  Lift onto a wire rack to cool.

Photos:
No photos, but look (and taste) like yummy little chocolate muffins.  No sign of any green anywhere if you blend the vegies really well.

Source Information:
Feeding Fussy Kids by Julie Maree Wood
Boots fibre, complex carbohydrates, beta-carotene (vitamin A), iron, potassium, phosphorus.  Suggests that sugar can be gradually reduced, but they're not overly sweet.

members' comments

hana -  they are delicious. Felt a bit guilty tricking my chocoholic into veggie cakes so I couldn't resist throwing in some chocolate chips at the end. Made them in mini muffin pans and it made around 60 muffins. Lunchbox winner!

RoxyS - I have that book too and love those cakes. My 5 yr old DD is quite fussy but was the only one of my children who would eat these cakes - for a while, I used to freeze them and put them in her lunch box so they would be defrosted by lunchtime and it worked really well. Unfortunately, I think I must have defrosted one in the microwave one day and the aroma of the broccoli must have put her off. She had helped cook them and hadn't seen me put the broccoli in. She knew about the zucchini and was happy to eat 12 of the small muffins I made that first day. All her greens for the month in one day. Yey! Too bad it didn't last.
Now I add the MEMOC mix from that book to cakes etc.

Netstar -  I made these for my kids (who hate veges).  DS (3) ate three all at once and DD (1) ate two.  Neither realised there were veges in there.  I wonder whether DH will realise when he has one? 

ES - I have to say that my kids wouldn't eat these as they smelt funny.

JuliaC83 - Just made these - 24 minis and 12 large .... nearly all gone!!  I used 75g sugar and 150g wholemeal self raising flour. Added single choc chip to the top of the mini muffins and 3 chips to the large. Definitely making again.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:00:21 am by judydawn »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: 'Eat Your Greens' Little Cakes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:59:20 pm »
A good school lunch recipe!!  ;)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:25:03 pm »
Zucchini AND Broccoli - Love it !!
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:13:56 am »
Thx Cb79 - good use for those broccoli stalks.  I peel them and make curry to use them up.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:59:11 am »
This looks great Cathy.  Thanks heaps!  :)

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:19:04 am »
Hey Cathy79,

I have that book too and love those cakes. My 5 yr old DD is quite fussy but was the only one of my children who would eat these cakes - for a while, I used to freeze them and put them in her lunch box so they would be defrosted by lunchtime and it worked really well. Unfortunately, I think I must have defrosted one in the microwave one day and the aroma of the broccoli must have put her off. She had helped cook them and hadn't seen me put the broccoli in. She knew about the zucchini and was happy to eat 12 of the small muffins I made that first day. All her greens for the month in one day. Yey! Too bad it didn't last.

Now I add the MEMOC mix from that book to cakes etc. Maybe we should post that on this site as I made it last time in Ted.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:04:27 pm »
Thx Cb79 - good use for those broccoli stalks.  I peel them and make curry to use them up.
Why peel the stalks?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:37 pm »
Roxy, this is my absolute favourite book at the moment.  So many recipes call for blenders or coffee grinders, so makes sense to convert.

The MEMOC recipe would be great in this section.  Not sure if you saw it, but my Milo recipe is based on combining MEMOC mix and the Protein Booster.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 07:58:58 am »
No Cathy, I hadn't looked at the Milo recipe. I've tried a couple of the juice combinations from the FE book but I have to confess I'm not that keen on the freshly juiced fruit - probably because I'm not a big fruit fan. Have my favourite - the watermelon juice is fantastic and tastes good with strawberries thrown in and juiced too. Not much else in the juice line has taken my fancy. I did makej my eldest DS a variation of the milo drink with the MEMOC in it before he headed off to a camp recently.
What else have you used from the FE book that you have loved?

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:22:32 am »
The Vegie-Packed Pasta Sauce is great - so easy, and you can hide so many vegies in it.  I think that's about it so far - haven't had it very long.  So many of their recipes call for a coffee grinder of a blender, so they're great potential TMX recipes.  I want to try the sausages soon.

What about you?

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:35:21 am »
Only the chicken nuggets which weren't a hit with any of my DC. I liked the sound of the chicken sausages but haven't gotten around to making them. Some of the baking recipes look good too but it was to hot to try them, it is only just cooling down enough now to want to put the oven on.

Will have to try the Vegie-Packed Pasta Sauce. I did a variation on Paul's Lamb Pasta sauce the other night and threw in a whole heap of vegies that I needed to use up and the only comments were that it was a bit runny as I added an 800g can of tomatoes and hadn't thickened the sauce and my DH would have liked a bit more of a kick - taste wise - probably because I didn't have any onions at the time. i was quite happy with it though and would make it again.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 11:11:51 pm »
Why peel the stalks?

The outer layer is very stringy, once it is peeled it is so soft and tender.  If I am blending it then it is no problem, but try just the stalks, peeled and (I eat it raw) lightly cooked.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 11:17:33 pm »
Why peel the stalks?

The outer layer is very stringy, once it is peeled it is so soft and tender.  If I am blending it then it is no problem, but try just the stalks, peeled and (I eat it raw) lightly cooked.
Thanks Thermomixer.  Good to know.

Offline hana

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 12:22:06 pm »
I just made these and they are delicious. Felt a bit guilty tricking my chocoholic into veggie cakes so I couldn't resist throwing in some chocolate chips at the end. Made them in mini muffin pans and it made around 60 muffins. Lunchbox winner!

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:28 pm »
These sound fab :D

Can anyone point me in the direction of the book? I've done a few searches, but can't find it.