Author Topic: Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle  (Read 225089 times)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Re: Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 02:01:19 am »
Rog, I will start tomorrow. My twin is already into her second week and has found it quite easy. She doesn't weigh herself, but is happy with how clothes are fitting. Another friend is also starting.

I've had a few hospital admissions, so now should be able to start and keep going. It doesn't look like much interest on this site, but certainly there is outside. Nice weight losses  ;D

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 07:33:26 am »
Nearly finished the first 'fast' day, no problems with the food. Or hunger. Very pleased to have found out the Horizon's episode in now on You tube. I have spent the last hour watching it and it makes sense to me on so many levels.

So thanks Rog for writing about it  ;D

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 09:28:07 am »
Can I ask what you would eat on a fast day?

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »
I had an easy day yesterday. 2 cups of strawberries and two meals the same. I made zucchini noodles (spiralized zucchini) and a cherry tomato sauce, with herbs,spices,sprinkling of shallots and topped with 100g grilled chicken thigh. I also had two macchiatos, total less then 500calories. I know chicken breast is lower calorie, but I must prefer the taste of the thigh.

I think the spiralizer is going to make the two days easier as a small amount of veggie fills your plate with 'noodles'.

When I followed the HCG with Cyndi O'Meara it was basically a 500cal diet. Mainly 2 serves of 100g protein, 2 serves 1 cup of green/white veggies, free lettuce, tomatoes, onion and 3 pieces low calorie fruit. So no counting calories.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 07:27:41 am »
Thanks EG that sounds do-able!  I will look into it abit more.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 09:18:13 am »
Great to hear others are taking up the lifestyle - as Michael Mosely said "this has the greatest potential for a positive impact on the nation's health" so spread the word. I'm doing my Paralympics travel champion duty at Waterloo station and spreading the word amongst colleagues - two are starting tomorrow on their 5:2.

Third set of fasting days under my (shrinking  ;D) belt and finding it easier and easier to adapt to the new lifestyle. I'm 2.5kg down and DW is 2.0kg down with "better fitting" uniform skirt, so very chuffed. A great filling recipe Shazzy is to cook up some soup mix (pearl barley, pulses etc.) with miso and just add a skinned chicken breast - delicious.

Happy 5:2ing.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 09:57:49 am »
OMG, Rog, that weight loss is incrediible  ;D Unfortunately, soup weather is finished here - around 34 -35 degrees each day.

First set of days nearly finished for me, fingers crossed, in a few weeks I can report the same weight loss.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 12:39:51 pm »
Thanks Rogizoja. I appreciate any ideas regarding the fasting days. Havent quite got there to actually do it but love the thought of doing it if that makes sense!!!  I think I need to just feel that I have some ideas for the fasting days and be organised then I would be more prepared to start.

Loving watching the Para Olympics - London have hosted such a wonderful event!

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »
Shazzy, for hot weather (and also not-so-hot weather) one of our family favourites is a "mega-salad" - lots of veggies, particularly green veggies (lettuce, brocolli, beans, mange tout etc) with some chopped up poached chicken or tuna with a low-cal dressing. Fills you up and is tasty to boot. LOTS of low-cal recipes online, just experiment to find what suits you best. Thermomix is great for the steaming and whipping up low-cal dressings; use xanthan gum as a stabilizer to reduce the amount of oil you use.

Well done on your first 2 ElleG, trust they were a piece of cake (so to say  ;D). Looking forward to hearing how it all goes with you. Don't forget, it's not all about weight loss but also healthier innards.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 01:03:37 am »
Hi Rog, I have lost about 20kgs over the last few years and in the normal BMI range, for whats thats worth. However, I still have abdominal fat, waist above the 80cms. . So am doing this for the health benefits, but a few more kilos off is a big bonus - get a smaller waist ;D

The health benefits sound wonderful. I have a family with strong history of cancers, heart disease, diabetes etc. so I would like to minimalize my chances of these diseases. Also have also had  a malignant melanoma, so have been told I have a high chance of a recurrence.
Next week I will split my days of doing the 5:2, and I feel this is a program I can adhere to.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 06:33:15 am »
Wow ElleG, 20kg, now that IS impressive. I too have a family history of cardiovascular issues (father died at 56, heart attack, younger brother's had quadruple bypass surgaery) so I too am looking for the health benefits. Though the doc did say that just losing some weight should reduce my risk factors. I'm looking to 5:2 as a long term lifestyle change.

Nasty things those melanomas - make sure you stay safe out of the sun. Hopefully 5:2 will help in that area too.

Best wishes :-)

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 12:25:57 pm »
It seems to be working - fourth set of fasting days done and dusted and scales tell me I'm now down 3.1kg (form a start of 91.0kg)while SWMBO is 2.4kg down (from a start of 70.5kg)  ;D ;D ;D.

ElleG - had another look at your spiralizer recipe looks great - on the menu for the next set of 2 (note to self : where can i get a spiralizer in the UK?   ???)

Bonsai

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 12:39:54 pm »
You can buy spiralisers online and Lakeland have them if you have a store near you. Congrats on the weight loss, it does seem like a more do-able eating plan than some I've seen. There were articles in the Australian press this morning about the Horizon program.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18:11 pm »
Thanks for the tip Bonsai, much appreciated.  Will have to go to Lakeland (need a couple of other goodies as well).

And good news about the Aus press - maybe there'll be more interest from your neck of the woods soon.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 12:29:10 am »
Rog, great weight losses continue for you. My DH is losing and I am NOT! However, early days and this is for health benefits, so I am continuing.

I bought my Benriner spiralizer on line through a Canadian seller on Australian EBay. Very pleased with it. I paid about $65 delivered. My friend has bought a much smaller one from China for about $12 delivered. We are waiting to see what it is like. I did a lot of research and decided and am very happy with it. However, $12 is very tempting  ;D

I see a few overseas blogs are now eating 5:2. Sorry I cant do links but Lavender and Lovage is one and Tinned tomatoes is another. Good reading and recipes.