Author Topic: Chookie's Novel Apple Pud  (Read 9624 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Chookie's Novel Apple Pud
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:12:25 pm »
Novel Apple Pud.

Click on photo for a bigger view.

This recipe has been a favorite in our family for years. Aunty Glad would make it and we would line up for seconds. I like it with cream, but others like it with ice cream. This recipe is really improved by making in the Thermomix as the mixing of the flour, sugar and butter, before adding the water is important. This allows a smooth sauce to develop around the apple rings.

Ingredients:

4 cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick rings (3 from each apple)
3/4 cup of sugar
1 Tablespoon of butter
2 Tablespoons of Self Raising flour
1 cup of cold water.

Method:

Place apple rings into a baking dish in a single layer.

Place sugar, flour and butter into TMX bowl and zap on speed 7 for 20 seconds.
Add water and mix, speed 7 for 10 seconds.
Pour over apple rings.

Bake in oven, 200 until light brown on top and a jelly forms around apple rings.

If the apples are extra large, prepare in the same manner, but double the sauce.

Originally published here http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2381.msg25361#msg25361  and then revised here: http://achookwoman.blogspot.com/2010/04/novel-apple-pud.html

Members' comments
MJ - I didn't have success with this recipe. Mine turned out as a thickened syrup under the apples. I must have done something wrong! Bit too sweet for us too.

andiesenjie - I tried this a few weeks back and I also found it a bit too sweet (I used the Splenda/sugar half & half baking mix).
On the second try I  deleted two tablespoons of the water and substituted two tablespoons of lemon juice and the zest of the lemon.
Made a huge difference.  (I also sprinkled the top with a dash or two of cinnamon.)

Chookie - MJ,  there is supposed to be a thickened syrup around the apples.   This is what people like about this recipe.  If too sweet Andie's suggestion sounds good.

funnyfarm2 - We have a similar version of this in my family and have just made in the tmx. Yum!

The recipe we make is;

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
90g butter
Mix together in tmx until combined evenly.
Peel and core 4-6 apples and cut in half placing face down into shallow dish.
Sprinkle mixture over top and pour 2 cups cold water over that before placing into hot oven, about 200C.
I then make the tmx custard to serve with it.
So easy!
The apple remains a little bit firm with yummy sticky sauce around it, and nice bits of pudding on top. I usually let it sit out of the oven for about 10 minutes which seems to thicken the sauce to the right consistency and then the apple isn't too hot! It is still really nice cold the next day also.

Frozzie (tried funnyfarm's recipe) - Tried this last night.. Next time will prob try chookies version just for last nights dinner the initial comments put me off.. Quite nice.. Would describe it as a mix between crumble and semi cake.. I put it in the oven and left it the whole time we were eating so approx 2 hours total... Just had with vanilla ice-cream... You could play around with presenting this really nicely with the half apples.. For me missing something on top to make it delish but was quite nice.. Next time will try chookies version..

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:19:51 pm by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Chookie's Novel Apple Pud
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:00:59 am »
Thanks Thermomixer for going to so much trouble. ;D ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:11:32 am »
I love apple desserts.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:28:42 am »
I didn't have success with this recipe. Mine turned out as a thickened syrup under the apples. I must have done something wrong! :-\  Bit too sweet for us too.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:04:38 am »
I didn't have success with this recipe. Mine turned out as a thickened syrup under the apples. I must have done something wrong! :-\  Bit too sweet for us too.

I tried this a few weeks back and I also found it a bit too sweet (I used the Splenda/sugar half & half baking mix).
On the second try I  deleted two tablespoons of the water and substituted two tablespoons of lemon juice and the zest of the lemon.
Made a huge difference.  (I also sprinkled the top with a dash or two of cinnamon.)
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:54:18 am »
MJ,  there is supposed to be a thickened syrup around the apples.   This is what people like about this recipe.  If too sweet Andi's suggestion sounds good.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:15:33 pm »
Oh good! ;D Your picture looks like it's almost a cake on top and I was wondering how that could happen with such a small amount of flour!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:43:53 am »
Sounds good chookie, what other fruit have you tried it with?
Thanks DJ

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 08:43:17 am »
DJ,  I haven't tried it with any other fruit,  but pears or apricots might work. There is an interaction between the apples and the mixture that forms an apple flavored jelly around the fruit. I think it might be a good idea to cut back on the sugar as suggested above.  I made just 1/2 amount today to use up the apples...This is a good pud to pop in the oven while the roast is cooking.

Offline funnyfarm2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 07:01:29 am »
We have a similar version of this in my family and have just made in the tmx. Yum!

The recipe we make is;

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
90g butter

Sprinkle mixture over top and pour 2 cups cold water over that before placing into hot oven, about 200C.

So easy!

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 08:15:02 am »
Funnyfarm2,  think i like the sound of this better.  Does it form a sticky sauce around the apples. ?

Offline funnyfarm2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 08:49:14 am »
The apple remains a little bit firm with yummy sticky sauce around it, and nice bits of pudding on top. I usually let it sit out of the oven for about 10 minutes which seems to thicken the sauce to the right consistency and then the apple isn't too hot! It is still really nice cold the next day also.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:54:10 am »
We have a similar version of this in my family and have just made in the tmx. Yum!

The recipe we make is;

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
90g butter

So easy!

Tried this last night.. Next time will prob try chookies version just for last nights dinner the initial comments put me off.. Quite nice.. Would describe it as a mix between crumble ad semi cake.. I put it in the oven and left it the whole time we were eating so approx 2 hours total... Just had with vanilla icecream... You could play around with presenting this really nicely with the half apples.. Fir me missing something on top to make it delish but was quite nice.. Next time will try chookies version..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/