Author Topic: Jam Coconut Slice  (Read 10588 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Jam Coconut Slice
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:50:20 am »
Name of Recipe: Jam Coconut Slice
Number of People:
Ingredients:

Base:
90g butter, softened at room temp
110g caster sugar
1 egg
40g Self Raising flour
80g Plain Flour
1/2 cup Raspberry Jam (your choice)

Topping:
2 eggs
1/3 cup caster sugar
2 cups dessicated coconut

Preparation:
Grease a slice tin, and Preheat oven to moderate temperature.

Topping:
Beat eggs lightly in a bowl, beat in sugar and coconut. Set aside.

Base:
Insert Butterfly Whisk, and cream sugar and butter at Speed 4 until creamy (approx 1 min) stopping to scrape down sides of TM bowl with spatula a couple of times.
Add egg, Speed 4 for 3-5 seconds.
Add flour, whisk at Speed 3 until combined, approx 10 seconds.
Spread mixture evenly over base of tin.
Spread evenly with jam, as you like it, then spread the topping over evenly.
Bake in oven for about 35 mins. Cool in pan, and cut when cold.

Members' comments
Trudy - I finally got around to making this yesterday.  Would you believe it's nearly all gone!!!!  My Husband loved it. Thanks for posting it.

Brumington - I made this today to use up some shop bought jam and apart from the HUGE mess my children make eating it (the crumble is very crumbly!) I really liked it.  My oldest wasn't as keen but he's not a fan of anything too sweet so ate all the topping and left the sweet jam.  Next time I make this I might gently push the topping down a bit in the hope it wont be as crumbly.  I wonder how yummy this would be made with nutella instead of jam? Might have to experiment.

Photos: No

Tips/Hints:
Oldie, but a goldie. You could combine the topping in the TM but it is probably quicker to do in a separate bowl, as it only takes about 30 seconds to mix by hand.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:41:56 pm by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Jam Coconut Slice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:10:41 am »
Thanks CP - are you starting to feel a little less guilty?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:20:29 am »
My family love this and yet tell me they hate coconut ??? They seem to think it's something done with egg whites ??? I will not be enlightening them.
I once got into BIG trouble from a Mum at school for telling her child what parsnips were. She had been eating them for years as white carrots, but would not eat them as parsnips. Fair enough. I was more careful after that.
Great conversion-thanks
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 12:28:07 pm »
My family love this and yet tell me they hate coconut ??? They seem to think it's something done with egg whites ??? I will not be enlightening them.
I once got into BIG trouble from a Mum at school for telling her child what parsnips were. She had been eating them for years as white carrots, but would not eat them as parsnips. Fair enough. I was more careful after that.
Great conversion-thanks

For years my kids would tell anyone who would listen that they never ate tomatoes!  I'm not sure what they thought made all that lasagne and spag bog that I made them so red!! :D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:33:45 pm »
My Mum presented me with something crumbed for lunch one day - she said they were chicken strips. One bite told me they weren't - she had tried to con me into eating tripe but it didn't work.  I don't eat leather.  I was in my 40's at the time - I think well over the  time age she should have been trying to force feed me  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:10:49 am »
I have fooled people with tripe -but lonnnnnnngggg sloooooow cooking, and not crumbed. 

Love your Mum trying it when you were 40  ;D ;D ;D.  Hope you ate all your vegies so you could get dessert?  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:35:27 am »
No still feel guilty, I have a lovely Fruit and Nut Slice that I want to convert, and a few more things and then I will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:07:46 am »
I finally got around to making this yesterday.  Would you believe it's nearly all gone!!!!  My Husband loved it.

Thanks for posting it.

Trudy

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 11:00:46 am »
wahoo!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:32:44 am »
I made this today to use up some shop bought jam and apart from the HUGE mess my children make eating it (the crumble is very crumbly!) I really liked it.  My oldest wasn't as keen but he's not a fan of anything too sweet so ate all the topping and left the sweet jam.  Next time I make this I might gently push the topping down a bit in the hope it wont be as crumbly.  I wonder how yummy this would be made with nutella instead of jam? Might have to experiment.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 06:30:14 am »
Nutella, what a great Idea.  Will have to try that one for DS. :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url