Author Topic: Chunky Beef Chilli with Creamed Lemon Feta (from 09 Aust. Calendar)  (Read 31828 times)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Name of Recipe:Chunky Beef Chilli
Number of People: Can someone please let me know and I'll update this bit?

Ingredients:
5 cloves garlic (that's a good start  ;) )
1 onion, peeled and quartered
50g olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp roasted paprika
2 tbsp tumeric
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
Sea salt to taste
50g tomato paste
400g tin whole tomatoes
1 tbsp brown sugar
600-750g rump steak cut into 2-3cm cubes (do not substitute a cheaper cut of meat)
400g tin red kidney beans (drained)
Fresh coriander to garnish
4-5 chopped roma tomatoes to garnish
Creamed Lemon Fetta to garnish (see below for recipe)

Preparation:
Place garlic and onion into a TM bowl and chop for 5-10 seconds on speed 7.
Add oil and dry spices and saute for 3 mintues on 100C on speed 1.
Add salt, tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar and beef. Cook for 15 minutes at 100C on Reverse + speed 1.  Add kidney beans and heat through for 2 minutes at 100C on Reverse + Speed 1.
Serve with steamed rice, fresh coriander leaves and chopped tomatoes and creamed lemon feta.
Add fresh chilli slices to taste if desired.
(the picutre also looks like it has chives and fresh grated cheese (maybe cheddar or similar???) on top too)

Name of Recipe:Creamed Lemon Feta

A delicious accompaniment to this recipe is Creamed Lemon Feta.  Place the rind of 1 lemon into TM bowl and mill for 20 seconds on speed 8.
Add 150g European style feta and blend for 15 seconds on speed 8. Insert butterfly attachment and gently turn up to speed 4.  Slowly add the squeezed juice of 1/2 the lemon and enough extra virgin olive oil to make a thick and creamy dressing.  Place in fridge until ready to serve (it should resemble the texture of sour cream).

Roasting Your Own Dry Spices
Whole spices can be dry roased in the Thermomix by being placed into the TM bowl and cooked at 100C for 6-8 minutes on Reverse + Speed 1.  Then mill for 30 seconds on speed 9 to produce your own freshly ground spices. You will be amazed how much fresher and more intense your recipe flavours will be when you roast your own!

members' comments

JulieO - I altered a couple of things to suit our tastes, namely reducing the amount of a couple of the spices, eg, used: 2 tsp paprika and 1/8 tsp of chilli flakes.  The rest I didn't change. 
I firstly fried off the chopped onion and garlic in a frypan, then added the spices until aromatic, then added the tomato paste and stirred for about one minute.  Scraped it all into the TM bowl and carried on with the recipe. 
My meat was in nice big cubes like stated in the recipe and when I checked after 15 mins cooking time, the meat was perfectly cooked, not dried out at all and didn't need any more cooking.
I also made the lemon feta using Greek style feta and it was wonderful.  I would however only make half quantity next time as we only wanted a good dollop on top and the recipe made about 3/4 cup.
We got 3 1/2 serves of curry out of this recipe.  They weren't huge serves, but enough especially if served with Naan bread.
Really enjoyed this meal and will definitely make again.  It had a nice kick without being too hot.

Chelsea - it was very tasty.  The lemon feta was quite unusual but complimented the dish nicely. It was a very easy dish to make (despite the long ingredient list) and will go on our list to make again.  Another beef dish on the list is always handy.

CC - I wished I read the reviews before cooking. It was a little tough, so I should have reduced the cooking heat. The plus side was DH and DS loved it. I didn't make the Creamed Lemon Feta.

cookie - I have made this before but last night we had it with the Creamed Lemon Feta. It was amazing. The feta really lifts the beef to another level of taste.

Gert - Of course I doubled the chili and it is absolutely delicious.

Caroline J - Is the taste kid friendly?  My girls love chilli, but it's the only thing I make with a spice mix  Roll Eyes and would love a TMX replacement. Also, could you substitute beef mince in this?

Zan - Caroline, I substitute all different meats in anything. Mince would work similar to the beef but on the lower cooking times.
As for kid friendly depends on their chili liking. I'd make this as per the recipe for mine or slightly less on the cayenne (depending on what kids I was aiming at) but just adjust the cayenne and chili powder to the level you'd normally use for your kids/family.
(not made it but I'd say it's a medium - in my terms -  in hotness from reading the ingredients)

Tenina - The lemon feta âctually replaces the sour cream you would normally use with a chilli con carne. The selection of meat is critical, which is why there are varied results in toughness or tenderness of meat.

KerrynN - I added carrot, zucchini and red pepper (chopped on sp 4 for 10 secs at the start and set aside, then added back in with the beef). Also used less turmeric because I had run out. I was a bit worried that it would be too spicy, and it certainly *smelt* spicy but we have just had our half for dinner and it was really nice. The sugar gave it a subtle sweetness and I could have given it to the kids with a bit of sour cream mixed in.
Didn't do the creamed lemon feta. I got the recipe from the Meat on the Menu cookbook. Will certainly make it again, especially as it is another beef meal that doesn't use mince.

CP - Yummy, made this last night and seeing as it got the thumbs up from everyone, will make it again soon - especially with winter coming up.

Shazzy - the whole family loved it - so much so I will make it again this week.  The creamy feta really adds to the dish.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:43:09 am by judydawn »
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Chunky Beef Chilli with Creamed Lemon Feta (from 09 Aust. Calendar)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 01:39:18 am »
Thanks ILB - when I first saw the list of ingreds I freaked a bit - but have them all in the cupboard.

Sounds great - especially the creamed fetta sauce.

Shamed to say I have a calendar too, like brazen, but MrsT took it off the wall in preference for one with dogs ??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:14:44 am »
Dogs???
Mine sits on the wall right behind my TMX - so everytime I use it I look at this months recipe and think 'That looks nice, I'll make that soon...' and then I end up flipping the page as the months go by...

As a bonus it looks good when I hold demos at my place.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:46:19 am »
this one sounds amazing!!

our one and only calendar, which never gets used as we are totally electronic in this house ;) is the BOM weather calendar which my parents give DH every christmas and which we love for the photos
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 01:37:48 pm »
this one sounds amazing!!

our one and only calendar, which never gets used as we are totally electronic in this house ;) is the BOM weather calendar which my parents give DH every christmas and which we love for the photos

LOL my DH's parents give us one every Christmas too which we also love for the photos!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 01:40:26 pm »
At least their nice to look at - EX gave us a freebie he got from the stock food place in town -  so it's hanging in the toilet and never gets used.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:54:55 am »
I made this for tea tonight.  It was really good.  :)

I altered a couple of things to suit our tastes, namely reducing the amount of a couple of the spices, eg, used: 2 tsp paprika and 1/8 tsp of chilli flakes.  The rest I didn't change.  

I firstly fried off the chopped onion and garlic in a frypan, then added the spices until aromatic, then added the tomato paste and stirred for about one minute.  Scraped it all into the TM bowl and carried on with the recipe.  

My meat was in nice big cubes like stated in the recipe (though you can't really see them in the photo, but they are there  :D)  and when I checked after 15 mins cooking time, the meat was perfectly cooked, not dried out at all and didn't need any more cooking.

I also made the lemon feta using Greek style feta and it was wonderful.  I would however only make half quantity next time as we only wanted a good dollop on top and the recipe made about 3/4 cup.

We got 3 1/2 serves of curry out of this recipe.  They weren't huge serves, but enough especially if served with Naan bread.

Really enjoyed this meal and will definitely make again.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:34:40 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59:44 am »
Great photography JulieO - I think you have missed your calling ;) ;)  Hey if Thermomixer brings out a recipe book, he should employ to do the shots.  This looks good enough to eat  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 10:17:29 am »
Thankyou JD,    :D  It was really nice, had a nice kick without being too hot IYKWIM.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 11:01:14 am »
You should be able to cook the onion and spices in the TMX - maybe try a little longer, with a slightly lower temp  eg 90oC - silly to have to wash another pot.

I have problems with a lot of recipes that don't seem to allow the onions and garlic to cook long enough for them to saute properly.  Often add a little water to help allow it to caramelise without burning.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 11:48:41 am »
Yes I should give another go, but I really don't mind doing it this way as I cook them really slowly while I'm getting everything else ready to add.  I use non-stick frypans so doesn't take long to clean.  I've cut down so much on washing since having the TM that I really don't mind this step, and the added flavour makes it worthwhile.  :)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 12:24:54 pm »
Fantastic JulieO!!  ;D

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:19:27 am »
I made this for our dinner tonight and it was very tasty.  The lemon feta was quite unusual but complimented the dish nicely. It was a very easy dish to make (despite the long ingredient list) and will go on our list to make again.  Another beef dish on the list is always handy.  :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »
I made this last night and I wished I read the reviews before cooking.It was a little tough, so I should have reduced the cooking heat.The plus side was DH and DS loved it.I didn't make the Creamed Lemon Feta as I used the cheese in my salad at lunchtime :D :D :D.I have some leftovers so it will be interesting how it tastes reheated.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 05:34:07 am »
Shame that you didn't read all the tweaks  ;)  Guess that is one thing that the forum is good for, helping sort out some of the recipes.

Thanks for bumping the recipe  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia