Author Topic: Chicken breasts in tomato sauce with mushrooms  (Read 20692 times)

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
Chicken breasts in tomato sauce with mushrooms
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:08:01 am »
This is translated from the French cookbook "À table avec Thermomix". Note that I haven't tried this recipe, so if you do try it, please let me know how it turned out!

Chicken breasts in tomato sauce with mushrooms

4         Chicken breasts
2         Cloves of garlic
100g    Onion
240g    Whole fresh tomatoes or canned crushed
230g    Portobello mushrooms
1 cube Chicken stock
Herbs (from Provence, thyme)
Salt, pepper

• Put in the bowl the garlic, the onion cut in half, the tomatoes halved and drained. Mix 10 seconds at speed 5
• Add the mushrooms, whole chicken breasts, chicken stock cube, salt, pepper and herbs and set, depending on the size of breasts, 15 to 20 minutes at 100°, spoon speed  ^^, reverse  direction  :-:
• At timer stop, remove the chicken and arrange them on a hot serving plate. Coat them with tomato sauce and mushrooms.

Tips: Serve with fresh pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan. If sauce is too liquid, add a little cornstarch and 2 teaspoons of tomato paste and set 3 minutes at 100°, spoon speed  ^^, reverse  direction  :-:.

members' comments

cathy79 - Made this last night, DH says "a definite make again please".  I diced the chicken breasts as I just couldn't see how it would work "whole".  Used 500g chicken (2 breasts) and there was plenty of chicken.  I used MJ's passata instead of tinned tomatoes and added the tomato paste to thicken at the end.  Very nice, and super easy.

Chelsea - Mmmmmm.  This was lovely. I served it with pasta but it would also be yummy with mashed potato and steamed veg.
I used 400g diced chicken breast (3cm dice) and lots of pepper and fresh herbs.  I added the tomato paste in with the other ingredients at the start and then thickened the dish with a little cornflour paste at the end.  I cooked the mix for 6 minutes before adding the chicken and then cooked it for another 7 minutes.  I then added the cornflour paste and cooked it for a further 2 minutes.  The chicken was cooked perfectly in that time. Easy and delish!!!

CC - After CP bumped this recipe in her favourites list I thought I would give it a whirl. I followed Chelsea's "tweak" and it cooked to perfection. We all enjoyed it and I certainly would make it again.

JD - I did my own thing with this recipe tonight.  I had a pack of my Napolitana sauce in the freezer, just 100g mushrooms & 350g chicken breast.  Chopped the onion & garlic 2 sec/speed 5, added a tablespoon olive oil and sauteed 5 mins/100o/reverse/speed 1.
Added the thawed out sauce, mushrooms, 1/8th tsp Bridestowe gourmet Herbes de Provence, 3cm diced chicken, 1/2 tsp chicken stock, some pepper and 1/8th cup water. Cooked 7 mins/100o/reverse/speed 1 then added 180g baby spinach in when there was 1 minute to go.  Delicious and so quick if you use an already prepared sauce.  Enough leftover to serve with pasta tomorrow night.

Amy -  REALLY yummy, definitely a make-again recipe.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:05:37 pm by judydawn »
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Chicken breasts in tomato sauce with mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:16:43 am »
Thanks MrSpock - sounds good and simple, and easy enough to modify.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:45:22 am »
Large swiss browns are said to be portobello mushrooms and they are much easier to find in shops around here.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 07:00:04 pm »
Large swiss browns are said to be portobello mushrooms and they are much easier to find in shops around here.

The literal translation of the recipe asked for "Paris mushrooms". Wikipedia said that those were Portobello mushrooms, but it may be different according to the country...

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:21:54 pm »
So the chicken breasts just in, whole?
Amanda

Spain

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 01:38:53 am »
So the chicken breasts just in, whole?

That's what the recipe says, but who knows, maybe they have smaller chicken in France. I would slice them if they're too big. Like I've seen in one of Thermomixer's recipe: Those chicken looked like ostriches!!  ;D

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 02:08:00 am »
ahhh yes probably pumped full of hormones  :-))
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:46 am »
Made this last night, DH says "a definite make again please".  I diced the chicken breasts, as I just couldn't see how it would work "whole".  Used 500g chicken (2 breasts) and there was plenty of chicken.  I used MeganJane's passata instead of tinned tomatoes, and added the tomato paste to thicken at the end.  Very nice, and super easy.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 11:32:03 pm »
Good work - certainly saving time and energy by cutting up the breasts.  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 10:25:49 am »
Mmmmmm.  This was lovely tonight for dinner.  I served it with pasta but it would also be yummy with mashed potato and steamed veg.

I used 400g diced chicken breast (3cm dice) and lot's of pepper and fresh herbs.  I added the tomato paste in with the other ingredients at the start and then thickened the dish with a little cornflour paste at the end.  I cooked the mix for 6 minutes before adding the chicken and then cooked it for another 7 minutes.  I then added the cornflour paste and cooked it for a further 2 minutes.  The chicken was cooked perfectly in that time.

Easy and delish!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 10:58:04 am »
Thanks for the photo Chelsea - looks great.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 03:49:42 am »
Great photo Chelsea, will put this on the To Do list.  :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 08:36:37 pm »
After CP bumped this recipe in her favorites list I thought I would give it a whirl.I followed Chelsea's "tweak" and it cooked to perfection.We all enjoyed it and I certainly would make it again. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 08:39:04 am »
Probably wouldn't have looked at this twice excepting for your photo Chelsea. Great Work!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 09:03:35 am »
Thanks so much.  I am drawn to photos too. This is lovely dish and very easy.  We have it quite often with mash or pasta.  :)