Author Topic: Sourdough foccacia  (Read 6606 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sourdough foccacia
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:14:16 am »
I've made this twice now so have decided to share it with those who have a sourdough starter as there doesn't seem to be a SD focaccia on the forum.

I used this recipe of Chookies as it fits in to my lifestyle a lot better.  My sourdough starter is going really well since I worked out that I wasn't feeding it up enough before using it.  I now remove it from the fridge the night before I want to use it for this recipe and during that time, I feed it at least 3 times.  Now, for the first time my starter actually bubbles up and I found it running down the side of my jar.  I was so happy to see that.

500g bread flour.
2 teaspoon of salt and sugar (no need to use if using Laucke Bread Mix which already has these ingredients added).
400g of sourdough starter. ( consistency of pancake batter )
250g warm filtered water.

Knead all in TMX for 4 mins.

Mix the above recipe 4 hours before you go to bed, place it into a lined 23 x 32 x 5 cm baking dish for 3-4 hours on the bench then pop it into the fridge overnight.  Remove in the morning, rest for a minimum of an hour (I did 1.25 hours), dock it with floured fingertips, sprinkle with as little or as much olive oil as you like and some coarse sea salt then place sprigs of rosemary in the indentations.

Bake 200oC fan forced for 20 minutes with a bowl of water on the floor of the oven. Remove from tin and place back into the oven to crisp the bottom a little more, about 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:16:25 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:51:14 am »
Yum Judy. Looks delicious. I will have to look into making a SD starter. Maybe next weekend.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sourdough foccacia
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:57:21 am »
I'd give you some of mine (Chookies) INAID if you lived closer.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:59:56 am »
Thanks Judy. I'm sure I could get it working. I just have a very stressful week coming up. So I'm trying to make it as easy as possible on myself. :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:43:52 am »
Judy,  this looks very nice.  The thing about SD is to make it fit your life style.  This would make very nice toasted sandwiches. 
Visited a friend the other day and she wanted to make dome SD from the starter that I had given her 3 weeks previously.  I said I would give her a hand and she produced all the flour she had but only about 1/2 cup of bread flour.  We made a mixture of Spelt and the little Bread flour.  I wasn't very confident that it would be OK.  The starter smelt ok but no bubbles. 

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 04:14:03 am »
Looks good Judy.
I will have to try it.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 04:38:25 am »
Lovely Judy. I do that with my starter too. I take it out in the morning and feed it little feeds during the day. It soon gets bubbling. Then at night I give it a big feed. It hasn't flowed over yet, but has blown the lid off the container. I then make the bread in the morning and it gives it all day to rise.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:11:13 am »
Lovely Judy.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:26 pm »
This is also on my list :) thanks, Judy. :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:33:10 pm »
This is my favourite thing to do with the sourdough GF, will be interest to hear what you think.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 09:21:27 am »
Despite completely ignoring Judy's method - I made this today and both Richard and I think it tastes lovely and we enjoyed it with our gnocchi in tomato sauce tonight.

I decided late last night to make it, so I couldn't wait 4 hours to place it in the fridge. Instead I put the dough into a larger tray than suggested in the recipe and then put the tray inside a big plastic bag (I sort of made a tent out of the bag so plastic didn't touch the dough) then I left it on the bench all night.

This morning whilst it had risen, it wasn't huge so I was happy with it. I had to go out first thing today (doctors appointment - he was running late of course) so by the time I got home it had risen a lot more.  Whilst I was using my fingertips to dock the top, it knocked a lot of the air out if it so the end result is slightly dense and firm on the outside. I'm happy with how it tastes, but next time I'll make it properly!
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 09:27:45 am »
I happened to call in just after Katie cooked this so we had a small piece each.  Tasted fine to me and I imagine very nice to mop up the sauce with too Katie.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 12:27:51 pm »
I'd forgotten about this. I'm making some SD bread tomorrow or Thursday so will try and remember to give this a go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/