Author Topic: Healthy Chicken Katsuu  (Read 8217 times)

Offline the annoyed thyroid

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
Healthy Chicken Katsuu
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:23:49 am »
Healthy Chicken Katsu:
Katsu is a Japanese curry where the chicken is breadcrumbed before cooking. I like this version because it’s relatively low fat, and low calorie because the chicken is baked and not fried!  Making the sauce in the Thermomix is just too easy!
Serves 4:
Ingredients:
4 skinless  chicken breasts
1 large  egg , beaten
 8 tablespoons finely crushed cornflakes or panko crumbs

FOR THE SAUCE
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 tablespoons Korma paste
1 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cornflour
450ml water

FOR THE STEAMED RICE
200-240g rice
1 litre water
1 teaspoon sea salt
Snow peas and green beans, to serve

Preparation:

1.Preheat oven to 200 C / 180C fan-forced / gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2.Peel the garlic and chop on 3 seconds  on  speed 7.
3.Add all the other sauce ingredients in the TM bowl. Blitz for  3 seconds on speed 5 to combine. Check that all the ingredients are mixed.
4.Cook for 10 minutes at 100C on speed 4 with the MC off. Put the rice basket over the hole in the lid to prevent any spitting. When the sauce is ready, transfer to the thermoserver to keep warm.
5.Dip the chicken in the egg, then coat in the cornflakes or crumbs. Space the chicken out on a non-stick baking tray and cook for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
6.Rinse out the TM bowl and fill with a litre of water. Insert rice basket. Weigh rice into the basket allowing 50-70g per person, then add the salt. Put the lid on TM bowl, leaving the MC off. Rinse the rice for 10 seconds  on speed 5.
7.If you want to cook any veggies, place the Varoma on top of the lid and put the veggies inside. Cover with the Varoma lid.
8.Steam rice (and veggies,) for 20 minutes  at Varoma temperature on speed 3. If you are not using the Varoma, you will need to insert the MC.
9.Serve the chicken breasts with rice (and vegetables, if desired.)  Drizzle with sauce.

Prep time: 10 minutes   Cooking time: 25-30 minutes

Converted from : BBC Good Food Magazine April 2012

Thanks to achookwoman for helping me sort out the sauce  ;D

members' comments

JD - it was a real hit.
I didn't have any Korma paste but I did have a jar of Korma cooking sauce which has been in the pantry for so long that I needed to use it.  I therefore used 3 tblspns of that as it wouldn't have been as concentrated as the paste and have frozen the rest rather than waste it. Instead of the fresh garlic I used a heaped tsp Tenina's garlic paste.  The sauce was rather thin so I added 2 more tspns of cornflour (mine is wheaten flour) and served the meal with a jacket baked potato and stir fried cabbage & carrot. 
Thanks for sharing the recipe, it was a lovely meal and one I would most certainly serve up to visitors - the sauce really finished the meal off nicely.  I have 3 little tubs of this sauce in the freezer now.

johnro - this was a great meal quick and easy - served with steamed carrots and snow peas - great conversion thank you so much .

Amy - it was delicious! Thanks Sam. The chicken was beautiful and tender, it was great! The sauce certainly has kick and I only used 1 tbsp of curry paste.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:19:38 pm by judydawn »
"Don't count the days, make the days count." Muhammad Ali

http://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy Chicken Katsuu
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:38:28 am »
It looks lovely TAT. I often cook my chicken schnitzels in the oven with just a spray of EVOO. I just find it easier as well as healthier.
The sauces look as though they would have similar tastes.

I am a big fan of BBC Good Food.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:09:47 am »
I love BBC Good Food - did you know they have stopped the Aussie magazine? I was gutted. There's still the website but there's nothing like the shiny pages of a magazine!
 :(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:36:45 am »
Yes, that and Masterchef have been stopped from subscriptions DD1 gave me for my last birthday.  I wasn't sorry to see Masterchef stopped, didn't like that one anyway. I did like the Aust Good Food mag though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:36:22 am »
Oh no, how dreadful. I had given up on Masterchef as I didn't like it anymore. I really enjoyed Aust Good Food though. I guess I will save the purchase price of that each month then. I actually get BBC Good Food on my iPad. I love it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:58 am »
We had this for lunch today Sam and it was a real hit. I made the full quantity even though it was only for the 2 of us but it gives me a couple of schnitzels to do something with tomorrow.

I didn't have any Korma paste but I did have a jar of Korma cooking sauce which has been in the pantry for so long that I needed to use it.  I therefore used 3 tblspns of that as it wouldn't have been as concentrated as the paste and have frozen the rest rather than waste it. Instead of the fresh garlic I used a heaped tsp Tenina's garlic paste.  The sauce was rather thin so I added 2 more tspns of cornflour (mine is wheaten flour) and served the meal with a jacket baked potato and stir fried cabbage & carrot. 

Thanks for sharing the recipe, it was a lovely meal and one I would most certainly serve up to visitors - the sauce really finished the meal off nicely.  I have 3 little tubs of this sauce in the freezer now.

Sorry no photo, had it all set up and then discovered my battery was flat  >:(
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:29 am »
Glad you liked it Judy. I haven't made this one yet but will do so in the near future. It is a good meal and slightly unusual.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:47:22 am »
...this was a great meal quick and easy after a rather uniques day of dodging flooded roads - served with steamed carrots and snow peas - great conversion thank you so much  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:17 pm »
...this was a great meal quick and easy after a rather uniques day of dodging flooded roads - served with steamed carrots and snow peas - great conversion thank you so much  :)  :)
Sorry to hear about your terrible weather but hoping this delicious dish put a smile on your face! Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:08:57 am »
I made this for our dinner tonight and it was delicious! Thanks Sam :D :D The chicken was beautiful and tender, it was great! :D
The sauce certainly has kick, and I only used 1 tbsp of curry paste ;D

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 10:17:23 am »
I'm so pleased you liked it, Amy. I like my food super hot, I must remember to add a note of warning when I post my recipes! Too much spice isn't nice! Great photo, too! It looks totally delicious!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:20:34 am »
Thanks Sam, a warning in future would be good! I thought it would be a bit hot for our tastes which is why I kept the paste down ;) Still delicious though, even with the kick. It tasted so authentic which was awesome! :D