Author Topic: Flour  (Read 3145 times)

Offline lorraine

• View Profile
Flour
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:38 am »
Can anyone explain why Carb soda & baking powder is used in cake recipes instead of Self Raising Flour. ???

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
Re: Flour
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:22:24 pm »
I would assume to simplify the number of ingredients you need to have on hand. *shrug*
That's not to say you couldn't substitute to use it up.  ;)

I don't have self raising flour at home since I bought my TMX... and don't see any need for it now. :)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »
I think plain flour and baking powder/soda are used in recipes instead of self raising flour in part for the health benefit. Self raising flour is considered by some health experts to contain far too much raising agent (aluminium based raising agent).  If you make your own baking powder it is possible to eliminate the aluminium in your baking powder and therefore in your own self-raising flour.

I'm sure there is another "foodie" type reason too though.  It certainly seems to be the in-thing with recipes at the moment. :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:37:00 am »
Agree - pretty sure that it is to make sure that you use as many basic ingredients as possible.  Unfortunately my pantry has grown with my TMX !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 03:05:09 pm »
I love recipes that use plain flour. I no longer buy SR flour as I can make my own in the TMX. In fact, I don't even do that now...just add 2 teaspoons baking powder for each 150g plain flour. If the cake is a chocolate one, I'll also add 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda. Cocoa is acidic and reacts with the bi-carb to create a natural raising agent!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand