Author Topic: Garlic peeling tip  (Read 42829 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Garlic peeling tip
« on: December 05, 2008, 12:25:41 pm »
Just got the UK newsletter (you can download it here http://www.ukthermomix.com/pdfs/MyThermomix_Newsletter_Issue03.pdf )

There is a tip on page 3 for peeling garlic quickly and easily - without the smelly fingers!

Put 1 - 30 unpeeled cloves of garlic in the TM bowl, press  :-: and set to speed 4 for 3 - 6 seconds.  And your garlic is peeled.

If you don't want to pick out the garlic skins, just run a gentle cold tap into the TM bowl and let the garlic skins float up and out of the bowl.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Garlic peeling tip
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:32:32 pm »
OMG if that works i will love you forever caroline  :-* :D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 06:49:03 am »
Thanks CarolineW.  I've just printed that off.  Really appreciate the link. :)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Alina0210

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 08:26:04 am »
Thats a great idea... awesome...

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 01:12:51 pm »
holy guacamole it's true!!! i did it this afternoon!!! thank you caroline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i LOATHE peeling garlic!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 06:08:37 am »
Thanks CarolineW.  I have a rubber sleeve gadget that somebody gave me yeasr ago that I use if there are loads to peel.

This sounds brilliant.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 03:56:58 am »
This tip (and the one for onions) sounds great. Can anyone tell me what to do with cloves of unpeeled garlic to preserve them until needed as it would be a great idea to buy garlic in bulk, peel the lot and have them ready to go.  I have a feeling I read somewhere (not here) that they could be frozen - anyone tried this or have other ideas.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 06:48:21 am »
I'm not sure but I think they can be stored in the fridge in olive oil. But then you see them ready peeled at the supermarket and they're in nothing. ???
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:04:22 am »
i often chop a whole bulb or two and just store them in airtight tupperware covered in olive oil. can't say how long they'll keep as i'm lucky if that lasts us a week or two ;) ;D
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:17 am »
Thanks Cookie1 & Karen, will give it a go that way.  What a time saver.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 01:33:58 am »
Storing garlic in olive oil can be dangerous.... 

The worst danger from botulism comes if raw garlic is stored in oil at room temperature - or even for too long in the refridgerator

http://www.garlic-central.com/dangers.html

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 02:16:16 am »
i'm assuming a week or 2 is not too long  ??? :)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 02:30:10 am »
According to this site - http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/pickle.htm
3 weeks is too long.
Storing Garlic in Oil - Warning! - Not Safe.

It's important to keep food safety in mind when storing garlic in oil. Low-acid foods like garlic can be a source of Clostridium botulinum bacteria which are found in soil, water, and air. Oil's oxygen-free environment is perfect for growth of this anaerobic bacteria. Garlic in oil, therefore, must be stored correctly to prevent botulism food poisoning.

Commercial garlic-in-oil mixtures are acidified to prevent bacterial growth. These products can be stored safely at room temperature. Unfortunately, acidification of garlic in homemade oil mixtures can't be recommended because no research exists to support proper procedures. Different people recommend different methods and time to acidify and it is hard to know who is right. Instead, it's best to store these hazardous oils in the refrigerator, but for a limited time only. This conflicts with the desire for long term storage.

When raw garlic is stored in oil, Clostridium botulinum bacteria can grow. These mixtures must be refrigerated to slow bacterial growth. After 3 weeks of refrigeration, the increased number of bacteria will become a food safety hazard. Therefore, these mixtures should not be refrigerated longer than 3 weeks.

When garlic is immediately removed after flavoring oil, the bacteria will not have a "food source" for growth. The flavored oil can be stored safely at room temperature.

When vegetables or herbs are dried, water will not be available for bacterial growth. Therefore, DRIED vegetables or dried herbs (including garlic) in oil can be stored safely at room temperature. Note. Tomatoes are high in acid. Therefore, plain dried tomatoes in oil can be safely stored at room temperature.

Storage Recommendations: (According to Oregon State University Extension Service).

Raw or cooked garlic and/or herbs in oil:
These mixtures MUST be refrigerated. Do not store them longer than 3 weeks in the refrigerator. (Note. Raw garlic MAY be safely stored in vinegar at room temperature.)

Dried garlic and/or herbs in oil: If oil is seasoned with dried garlic and/or dried herbs, the mixture may be safely stored at room temperature. (Refrigeration may delay rancidity, however.)

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 02:51:51 am »
Karen, I don't think it's worth the risk.  Store it in some vinegar instead.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 03:29:18 am »
This topic has set the cat amongst the pigeons!  Think I'll do the vinegar tip to be on the safe side - I'll still keep it in the fridge though and won't do too many either.  Thanks for your help on this subject.  I was going to google the question but hadn't found the time - might still do that and read up some more about it.