Author Topic: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free  (Read 26485 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:42:24 am »
I decided I needed to get some more 'greens' into me and I thought "Green Smoothies" would be a good way to do it. When I was researching different recipes I found they weren't quite specific enough (ie a bunch of greens, some water etc) and as I am new to green smoothies, I wanted a foolproof recipe that doesn't taste 'green' & kept me full until at least morning tea. I think this one fits the bill -even my 2 year old loved it!

Name of Recipe:        Green Breakfast Smoothie
Number of People:     1 or 2
Ingredients:

150g banana (or 1 large or 2 small)
30g greens (for beginners silverbeet with white stalks removed or baby spinach are not too strong)
20g blueberries (roughly a handfull)
160g pineapple (peeled but you can leave the core if you choose)
100g ice (if the fruit are not pre-frozen)
200mL cold water (variable according to your taste)
130g pear (or one pear) -this is optional

Preparation:

*Put banana, greens, blueberries, pear, pineapple & ice (if using) in TMX bowl and pulverise 30secs/speed8

*Add approximately 200mL cold water and pulverise for 1min/speed8

Tips/Hints:
*I like to use cold fridge water
*When adding the water I add enough to reach the 1L mark inside the bowl.
*This amount gives me 1 large glass, DH 1 smaller glass and DD (age 2) 1/2 a glass.
*As we have more and more of these 'green' smoothies, I intend to cut down on the sweet fruits and add things like LSA and other "superfoods".

I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:00:42 am »
Jamberie, I completely agree with you. I have been thinking about trying green smoothies for a while but I also wanted a foolproof recipe to try, at least for my first one! So I am very tempted to give this a try, thank you :D

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:02:01 am »
Looks pretty good to me, Jamberie!!  Well done and thanks for posting!! :D

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:17:53 am »
Looks pretty good to me, Jamberie!!  Well done and thanks for posting!! :D

Thanks GF :), now that I'm on holidays I've got time to post recipes!

Jamberie, I completely agree with you. I have been thinking about trying green smoothies for a while but I also wanted a foolproof recipe to try, at least for my first one! So I am very tempted to give this a try, thank you :D

Amy, I think you could serve this one in an opaque drink bottle of some sort and you wouldn't know it was green!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 03:33:11 am »
That will work well for me then Jamberie!! Thanks!! :D :D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:18:24 pm »
This is SOOOOO yummy ;D Thanks Jamberie, you've converted me to green smoothies!
I added a tablespoon of almond meal to my smoothie because I noticed there is no protien in it. I think I will play around with it a bit more with proteins, try different nuts and maybe add an egg. But you were right, can't taste the spinach at all! I was even tempted make another one :-))

Here is a photo with a matching green curly straw ;D

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:57:55 pm »
I'm so pleased you liked it Amy!
Yes, almond meal would be a great addition for protein....how www the texture with the almond meal?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »
The texture with the almond meal was fine :D Since I only added a tablespoon it didn't make it much thicker at all.
LSA would be another good addition, like you mentioned in the recipe, and maybe some wheatgerm or ground chia seeds? :)
Now that I've found a base recipe that I really like, the possibilities are endless! :D
Thanks again Jamberie!

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 02:29:06 am »
Would you believe I ran out of greens this morning for my green smoothie! I added two tablespoons of almond meal and DH and I couldn't tell the difference...will certainly add that in the future.
Yes, I'm pleased with this one as a base too...keep us posted on your variations for if we need inspiration :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:13:18 pm »
I've been trying DH on a liquid breakfast lately as he is taking too long to feed himself but I am trying not to take all his independence away from him by feeding him every meal.  I sort of did a version of this one today - surely a good substitute for a bowl of cereal which has always been his preferred breakfast?

80 g banana
80 g pineapple
10 g blueberries
2 apricots
2 weetbix
270 ml milk

Enough for 2 serves and he drank it  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 10:15:11 pm »
Sounds good to me Judy! Well done :D

I had another one of these this morning, I've been adding an egg for some protein ;)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:53:49 pm »
That sounds great Judy....like a home made Up'n Go without additives  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 11:01:31 pm »
Sort of but this one is more like the Up 'n Go Jamberie - he had that one earlier in the week.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:44 am »
Oh yum! I love the convenience of Up & Go, but don't like the idea of the food being so heavily processed...I'll definately give that one a go soon, thanks for the link :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 03:32:21 am »
I have a green smoothie most days for breakfast but find I just add whatever I have on hand so no help with the recipe or specific quantities. I do find if you add a banana it masks the taste of most greens and mango is similar, I'm not a big fan of bananas so only add them if they are going brown in the fruit bowl. I also make up a container of flaked almonds, Chia seeds, Linseeds, sunflower seeds and add 3 dessert spoons to each smoothie so I get the goodness of the nuts and seeds everyday without needing to add them to anything else.

This morning I used  a baby romane lettuce, 3 large stalks of Kale, a stalk of celery, 2 cups of water, pulp of about 1/2 mango, 1 banana, 1 small white peach, a nectarine, a peeled orange and half a peeled lemon and blended on speed 10 for 4 minutes, it was super smooth and I couldn't taste the greens at all. It was quite thick with the banana and mango and the chia also thickens it a little on standing. All up it made over 1 ltr and I drank it in about 1/2 hour.