Author Topic: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!  (Read 41439 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2011, 08:07:03 pm »
CP63, I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan last night - hope you enjoy it as much as I did, it is an amazing insight into the traditions of China in the past. 

Looking forward to starting the Millennium trilogy over the weekend and hope it's not toooo addictive as I really have to get some work done in our garden before the weeds (or perhaps I should call them triffids!) take over completely.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:39 pm »
I found 1st of the Millenium trilogy very hard to get into, but once you work through some of the characters and the mystery grabs you, you will have to read them all. I have about 4 chapters to go in the final one now...
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2011, 10:44:41 pm »
With the iPad the screen is lit,  and can be adjusted to brightness.   This is probably why the reading time is shorter than on Kindle and Sony.  I read a lot,  probably too much.  have read a lot of Crime and all of Lee Child's Reacher books.   I enjoy well written works.  The iPad has opened up a lot of new authors,  as you can often have a sample read before you buy.  some are really poorly written.  I like books where the 'hero' is strongly independent.  I refuse to read crime that deals with violence against children.  I have enjoyed the recommendations other Forum members have made and will follow these up.   I mostly read when I go to bed, and as a poor sleeper consume lots of books. The BIG disadvantage with this type of reading is that you can't pass the books on,  as you can with hard copies. 

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2011, 01:22:25 am »
For sharing on the kindle, we discovered if you deregister your kindle and, for instance, re-register it in my name, my books are in the archive and you can transfer them to your kindle and then re-register it back in your name and the books will still be on your kindle. Not sure if this is legal or not... but we've done it amongst ourselves.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2011, 03:27:02 am »
For sharing on the kindle, we discovered if you deregister your kindle and, for instance, re-register it in my name, my books are in the archive and you can transfer them to your kindle and then re-register it back in your name and the books will still be on your kindle. Not sure if this is legal or not... but we've done it amongst ourselves.
Ooh!  Clever, but tricky.  I'm not sure how happy Amazon would be about this, tho.
After reading all the rave reviews on the cover with the light, I going to head over to Amazon and order it.  That should stop some of the nocturnal marital discord!! ;)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2011, 04:54:35 am »
My DH's kindle arrived yesterday and he is already into it. I read the Millennium Trilogy right through and am so wanting another. I recently bought second hand The Colour of Law by Mark Gimenez  and have downloaded two other for the Kindle.  Thanks all for your suggestions. Great Idea for us all.

Gertbypool
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2011, 06:12:36 am »
This morning DD managed to transfer all my books from the e reader to the new e reader which is to be mine. Not sure how she did it but it worked. I must purchase a cover for mine and I think I'll get a light on it. I can't wait until we go down to Busselton and DH will ask why I haven't packed heaps of books. ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2011, 01:19:17 am »
If you are transfering books from one Kindle to another  you can do  it via computer or wireless. Just turn the Kindle on to your network and go to sync and all books are transfered  in about a minutue. Too easy, even I could do it!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2011, 08:13:50 pm »
Last year Gertbysea mentioned buying a gift voucher and using that to buy from Amazon (kindle).  I thought that that was a great idea, but how do you actually use it?  I purchased a gift voucher for myself, but could not see on the Kindle Store page how to redeem it - everything is aimed towards the instant download.  Can someone talk me through how to use part - or all - of my gift voucher?

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:53 pm »
Cuilidh, it's very easy.  Go to Amazon and log into your account.

Go to the 'Payment' section (2nd part under Orders), under Gift Cards you will see 'Apply gift certificate/card to your account'.  Click on that, (you will need to sign in).
There's a box where you paste the claim code of the certificate that was emailed to you when you purchased it.  Then click 'Apply to your account', that's it, very easy.

You can view your balance at any time by going into that Payment section and clicking on 'View cert/card balance'.

Julie.  :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »
Thanks for your help, Julie.  I've got the hang of it now and you were right, it was very easy.

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2011, 12:47:21 am »
If you are transfering books from one Kindle to another  you can do  it via computer or wireless. Just turn the Kindle on to your network and go to sync and all books are transfered  in about a minutue. Too easy, even I could do it!

Gert

Question for Gert:
The kindles need to be on the same account, don't they? Just trying to share books with my sis's kindle and the only way I can do it is to register her kindle on my account and transfer the books out of archives.

Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2011, 07:29:38 am »
I bought a cover for my Sony e reader this morning with the light in it. I'm very impressed. The light runs off a separate AAA battery and it curves beautifully onto the text. It would have been useful the other night when our power went off.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2011, 08:25:55 pm »
Question for Gert:
The kindles need to be on the same account, don't they? Just trying to share books with my sis's kindle and the only way I can do it is to register her kindle on my account and transfer the books out of archives.

[/quote]

Yup that is right.  Just back on after 3 says without any power. The light on my Kindle cover was very useful!.

Gretchen

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2011, 03:41:05 am »
Lovely to see you back Gretchen.