Author Topic: BBQ Varoma Steak  (Read 36976 times)

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
BBQ Varoma Steak
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:19:01 am »
Name of Recipe:BBQ STStyle
Number of People:2 - 4 depending on number of steaks
Ingredients:
2 – 4 steaks good quality such as porterhouse or scotch fillet. 3 – 4 cm thick
Marinade;
2 Tbsp Hoi Sin sauce
1 tsp salt
T Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
1 Tbsp (2 cm ) fresh ginger
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic
1 small red chilli
2 tsp cornflour

Preparation:
Place garlic, ginger & chilli into the bowl. Chop at speed 9 for 6 seconds.
Scrape down bowl. Add all other marinade ingredients to bowl mix at speed 7 for 8-10 seconds.
Place steaks in pan and pour marinade over. Marinate 1 hour. Turning if not covered by marinade.
Drain and arrange steaks on tray of Varoma. Allow space for steam to rise between.
Place 500 ml water in bowl. Set time for 20 min. Temp varoma speed 1.

Photos:
next time
Tips/Hints:
You can cook rice or potatoes in the basket while the steak cooks. if so use speed 4
I put the steaks on the tray and put veggies to steam underneath so it is a one dish meal.
This timing gives a medium done steak but very juicy

Judy: My steaks were only 2cm thick so I cooked the vegies for 15 minutes then added the varoma tray with the meat and cooked a further 10 minutes.  Heated up a pack of frozen mushroom gravy (EDC) and now I am sold on this idea of varoma steaks. Thanks ozzy-dj for this recipe - we don't eat a lot of red meat but with this easy method we may start to now.

Ruth:  We don't have those sauces so he made the marinade based on Jude Blereau's basic Asian marinade from 'Wholefood'. This is
1.5 tbsp tamari 1.5 tbsp mirin 3 tsp pear concentrate 1 tsp grated ginger 1 tsp shopped fresh coriander 1 garlic clove 1/4 cup water. We followed DJs method and added in the chilli and cornflour too.

KerrynN: We did kangaroo this way tonight. It was good but I think it would have been better with less cooking time, say 15 minutes. Parts of the steaks were thinner and these bits were really difficult to eat. Flavour was good though.

luel: I did some kanga this way the other night.  Had potatoes cooking in basket and when they hit the 11 mins to go mark i popped on the varoma tray containing some marinated roo steaks.  I just bought the ones from woolies already marinated.  They came out absolutely delish, moist and tender and quite rare (just how i like them).  The steaks were also rested while potatoes were mashed and salad was served, so about 5 mins.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:22:06 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BBQ Varoma Steak
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:02:27 am »
Gee thanks ozzy-dj, don't think I've seen a steak recipe like this before.  Interesting, must try it with some nice steaks I have in the freezer. Have all the marinade ingredients too so once my stew has been eaten, this is most definitely on the menu this coming week.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:24 pm »
Had this for tea tonight and was very impressed.  Another all in one meal, no dirty frying pans, splashback or griller to clean.
My steaks were only 2cm thick so I cooked the vegies for 15 minutes then added the varoma tray with the meat and cooked a further 10 minutes.  Heated up a pack of frozen mushroom gravy (EDC) and now I am sold on this idea of varoma steaks. Thanks ozzy-dj for this recipe - we don't eat a lot of red meat but with this easy method we may start to now.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:44:29 pm »
Hmmm.... Steamed Steak? I won't make a comment until I try it. ;)
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:15 pm »
I tried this - it was good.  it reminded me of an old jamie oliver recipe which marinates the steak in similar flavours (but is not steamed).  i think the steaming is good for a midweek meal but would probably prefer it done on the BBQ when time and inclination permitted.

still - i never thought i would eat steamed steak!  and it wasn't bad at all...certainly very juicy and flavoursome. thanks for the recipe.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:54 pm »
Thanks for this recipe!  I've been wanting to try steaming steak, as I'd heard it was doable, and tasted good!  Must try it.  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:53:57 pm »
I love steak that has been gently steamed and tender, but MrsT likes it killed on the grill  :o :o
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:55 am »
Well, this was delicious and got a thumbs up from all the family. I didn't have any Hoisin Sauce, but substituted plum and soy.
I was amazed at how tasty and tender it was. The look isn't appealing and I think next time I'll put it on the grill for a little bit each side after 15 minutes steaming, just to get the lovely grill marks.
Thanks dj!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:42:56 am »
I found the mushroom sauce hid the fact that it was steamed MJ and did not detract from the marinade flavours.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 12:26:57 pm »
Heheh, good trick JD!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline ruth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 04:04:58 am »
My DH made this on the weekend. We liked it, I like how all the little bits of chilli stayed on top of the steak as you didn't have to turn it. 

We don't have those sauces so he made the marinade based on Jude Blereau's basic Asian marinade from 'Wholefood'. This is
1.5 tbsp tamari 1.5 tbsp mirin 3 tsp pear concentrate 1 tsp grated ginger 1 tsp shopped fresh coriander 1 garlic clove 1/4 cup water. We followed DJs method and added in the chilli and cornflour too.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 07:41:22 am »
Good suggestion Ruth - thanks   :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline leo081977

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 01:36:00 pm »
I cooked marinated kangaroo steaks in a similar manner :) They were divine nice and juicy :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:22:35 pm »
That would be an excellent way to cook kangaroo, since it's such a lean meat. Steaming would keep it wonderfully moist.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 10:27:15 am »
We did kangaroo this way tonight. It was good but I think it would have been better with less cooking time, say 15 minutes. Parts of the steaks were thinner and these bits were really difficult to eat. Flavour was good though.
Kerryn