Author Topic: Marshmallows - FAILSAFE  (Read 38346 times)

Offline SuperMum_of_3

• View Profile
Re: Marshmallows - FAILSAFE
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 11:46:15 am »
Thanks! I will have to try this as I tried making in TM a couple of months ago (not sure where I got recipe from - possibly 'friendly food') and had trouble with separation when it set I had 3mm yellow gelatin-like base to the fluffy marshmallow that sat on top. Is this normal? Or should it be all fluffy white stuff? I don't know if I'm chasing an impossible outcome. Kids still liked it though. ;)

Offline TMmum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 11:14:59 am »
Oh dear- I had an overflow at the 18 1/2 minute mark too :'( And I used regular sugar- did everyone else really do the full 20 minutes on Varoma?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »
Oh dear- I had an overflow at the 18 1/2 minute mark too :'( And I used regular sugar- did everyone else really do the full 20 minutes on Varoma?
I'm afraid I have never made marshmallow.Hopefully some forum member will be able to help you :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline jmc296

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »
I really like the look of this but am concerned about the boiling over.  Maybe half quantities would be safer do you think?

J

Offline Monicat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:50 am »
I made this yesterday, DEFINITELY halve the quantity, mine boiled over after 7 minutes, alternately possibly cook at 100 degrees rather than Varoma.  I made the full mix and I had to pour half out of the jug to be able to whip it up with the butterfly too, so next time will be making a half quantity and adding a bit of vanilla for flavour.

They did turn out nice though, very yummy and didn't last long!

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 07:06:41 am »
Making a batch for DS now. We are going out to wash the car and collect his brother while it cools. He has colored it yellow so trying to decide what flavor. (Eeerk american spell check!!!)

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 11:32:24 am »
I decided to give marshmallow a go today using Alexx Stuart's recipe (http://alexxstuart.com/life-changing-rocky-road-with-real-marshmallow) all was going well other than it wasn't fluffing.

So a bit of googling & I found this post.  The tip to let it cool to 37c is spot on & saved what was looking to be a disaster. They are great and only problem is to stop eating them so I can use them in the rocky road 😄

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 04:53:31 am »
I'm glad you let us know kmw. I think quite a few people may be making marshmallow this time of the year.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 01:26:18 pm »
Thanks Kerrie, now to remember when required!
Denise

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 09:12:26 am »
Just want to add to this post. I don't advise cooking on Varoma in the TM5. Mine started smoking!! I've looked at a few other recipes and cooking at 100 for around 10 minutes is plenty. You only need to dissolve sugar and bring to the boil.

Cooling to 37 is the key. I've popped my whole bowl in the fridge to cool.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand