Author Topic: Chocolate Honeycomb Cheesecake Review (What's For Dessert?)  (Read 4930 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Chocolate Honeycomb Cheesecake Review (What's For Dessert?)
« on: January 04, 2013, 06:15:38 am »
Hi all,

I decided to make the Chocolate Honeycomb Cheesecake from What's For Dessert? on New Year's Eve.  Here are my thoughts -

Firstly the recipe doesn't list what ingredients you need for the base or how to make the base, however from another thread it was determined that you are meant to use the Basic All Purpose Biscuit Base from the front of the book (thanks to the poster who helped me find this)!  The cheesecake recipe just says to use a flan tin but the base recipe says to use a 23cm minimum flan tin so this is what I went with.

I found my mixture was nowhere near enough combined after beating the sugar, vanilla and cream cheese so I ended up doing it again twice more and then mixing a bit by hand with a soft spatula.  My cream cheese was still a bit hard though so I would advise having it at room temperature before you start if possible.

My next problem came with the size of the tin.  My base had filled out to cover the bottom of the flan tin nicely but when it came to the filling there was way too much.  I poured as much as I could into the tin but had to stop when it was going to overflow.  I ended up with around 600ml of leftover filling that just wouldn't fit.  I don't know if you can freeze it but I have anyway, in the hope of having a go at making another one rather than letting it go to waste.  I would definitely advise using a bigger tin, perhaps even a 20cm springform tin so that there is enough room for all of the filling.

With regards to cooking, I had my oven on 180 degrees (rather than 200) and an hour was still too long for my cheesecake.  It came out slightly burnt on the top so I would advise keeping a close eye on it, perhaps 45 mins would have been enough seeing as I had less filling in it?

Finally, when decorating I also found that the melted chocolate didn't really glue the crunchie pieces on top of the cheesecake.  It did stick some of them on but some still fell off.  Perhaps I needed more melted chocolate but the recipe didn't specify how much you should use so I just used what was leftover from the actual filling.

Having said all that, it actually tasted quite nice although it was very rich and you definitely only need a small piece.  It did taste nicer the next day after having a full night to set in the fridge.  I would be prepared to give it another go but would maybe try it in a springform tin next time and see if I have better luck with that.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate Honeycomb Cheesecake Review (What's For Dessert?)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 06:27:37 am »
Well asha it looks very nice, and it sounds yummy I would have just putvtheleftbover into a dish and baked it, then I would have just eaten with a spoon straight from the fridge as my naught snack.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:29:43 am »
Thanks for the review.

AB you have such lovely ideas.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:30:39 am »
Asha, I think it looks lovely :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:10:05 am »
I think it looks great too asha.

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:57:58 pm »
We made it just before New Years, I too noticed the lack of base mentioned in the recipe and just used the version posted on Tenina's website.

I think we ended up using a 25-26 cm cake tin which was deep, as such the base was way too thin and the topping was thick. The pan took all of the topping. My wife felt that we should have cut the cheesecake before putting the crunchy on as trying to cut it afterwards was difficult. Overall it was very nice, all who ate it thought so too (assuming no one fibbed). (Actually the cheesecake cooked for longer than stated because I had to go out, so the oven auto turned off about 30 minutes later and the cheesecake remained in the residual heat. I was home about 4-5 hours later)

I'll certainly make it again.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 09:06:32 am »
Asha yours looks divine!  I came on here because I want to make this for Easter and could not work out the base either.  I knew this forum would have the answers!