Author Topic: Yummy Brown Rice Salad  (Read 150318 times)

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
Yummy Brown Rice Salad
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:13:02 am »

1cup brown rice
900g water
1 red capsicum
1/4 cup chopped spring onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup currants
1 cup chopped cashews (or any nut you like)

Sauce
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup evoo

Place water in TM and put brown rice in basket and cook for 30 minutes, Varoma speed 4.

While that is cooking I chop everything, you could put in TM for a second or two, but for the amount just as easy to chop to your liking.

Put the sauce mixture in a small jar, and shake then shake a little more

Once rice is cooled add everything including the sauce, glad wrap and put in the fridge, for the best result make the day before, it keeps really well.

My DH does not eat salads but his he would have every time .

Members' comments
Jeninwa - This is a lovely salad. I made it tonight with left over brown rice. Used dried apricots and walnuts. We have this salad often as it's one DH likes, he's not a big salad eater, but he's getting there. I have started adding a small amount of quinoa to the rice when I cook it.
This is so yummy and quick and easy to make. I've also zdded feta cheese, sunflower seed, walnuts, died apricots, cranberries, tomato spring onion, carrot and cucumber. I cook extra brown rice, freeze for a quick salad.

MJ - This is one of my favourite salads. Thanks for converting to TMX thermo18. Mine is a little different, though. I add 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds and 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds as well as the 60g of cashews.  My dressing also has 1 clove crushed garlic and 2 Tbsp of brown sugar.

Mab19 - Made this for dinner last night and it was a hit. I made a couple of slight changes.  I added a small grated carrot and some cherry tomatoes cut into quarters.  Left out the capsicum as I don't like it and it doesn't like me.  I used brown basmati rice as DH is diabetic and it was fine.

Cookie1 - Our guests loved it, I loved it, DH tasted it and DD turned up her nose at it. I don't care, now I can finish it all by myself. The only change I made was to use cranberries instead of currants. Next day some friends dropped in, I gave them a taste. They instantly asked for the recipe.  I've taken this to a BBQ. It was very popular. Hardly any leftovers to bring home and eat.

DJ - Made this using left over rice with diced cucumber, red pepper, grated carrot, parsley, cashews and raisins.
Used teriyaki sauce by accident, still delicious!

Maddy - loved it, thanks Thermo18. I used dried cherries instead of currants, and took on board MJ's additions.
Added:1 crushed garlic clove & 1 Tbsp. brown sugar to dressing (I used ketjap manis). Also 3 Tbsp. pepitas. Hubby who doesn't eat brown anything, loved it too.

Kimmyh - Lovely salad, will make again. Thanks.

Arcadia - Thanks for the recipe Thermo18. I have made it twice so far and the second time a double batch.  I double the sauce and also added sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and used a packet of mixed cranberries and something else. I have never been able to cook brown rice properly, the TM does a wonderful job.

Wonder - DH and I both thought this was lovely, DS wouldn't even try it and DD wasn't home so left overs for my lunch today. Once the salad had been sitting for a while it did bulk up quite a bit more than I thought so would easily be enough for 4 or 5 as a side salad. I used up bits and pieces I had in the pantry/fridge and it worked well.

Cuilidh - Made this yesterday and I agree with everyone else ... delicious - I made it 50 / 50 brown rice and quinoa and added some segmented oranges and alfalfa and broccoli sprouts that were ready for eating.

JD - I got to taste this after I made it for DD -  it is delicious as everyone has said.  If you don't believe us by now, you never will.

Tam - Have made this salad twice over the Christmas season and we all love it - so versatile and lends itself to other veggies lurking in the fridge. It really is a lovely dish!!

LouLouB - Finally made this after having it bookmarked for 2 months. Big hit at our place.  Wasn't sure if the one cup of rice would be enough for us (4 adults,  1 child), so made another salad to complement. I will definitely make this again & if entertaining, probably make double so there's extras!

Lucyluu - Made this today for our dinner. Very nice I used roasted capsicum and added the sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Put one teaspoon of brown sugar in the sauce and used lime juice instead of lemon. Yum.

Bonsai - Made this using pearl barley (really low GI)  cooked 35 mins varoma,  speed 3 instead of rice and added craisins, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, barberries, red onion, red capsicum, and the usual dressing. Nice texture and still yummy the next day. Would certainly make this again.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:24:50 am by judydawn »

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Yummy Brown Rice Salad
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:39:14 am »
This looks yummy. Definitely salad weather.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:30 am »
This is a lovely salad I made it tonight with left over brown rice. Used dried apricots and walnuts. This is on my list to make again.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:51:27 pm »
Thanks jeninwa yes it is so nice, my husband does not like salads being a meat and potato man but this he will go back for seconds. I might even try with the apricots and walnuts for a change  :D

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:49 pm »
My husband is the same and went back for seconds, it's so quick and easy to make.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:13 am »
can I ask which onion you are using for this salad?....red, spring or white/brown....Just worried the standard onion was too raw in taste iykwim?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:30:32 am »
Tip
When i need a red oinon and i dont have any i soak a thinly slice onions for 1 hour or so
Changing the water and squeezing all of the juices 3 to 4 times, drying in a tea towel squeezing most of the water out

i use this methdo for when i make a Panzanella - Italian Bread Salad
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39:41 am »
Maddie Spring onion is what I used sorry about that, but red onion you could also use.
Thanks uni for that tip  ;D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:51:29 am »
thanks Thermo  :)

Thanks for that tip Uni   8)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 01:35:16 pm »
This is one of my favourite salads. Thanks for converting to TMX thermo18.

Mine is a little different, though.

I add 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds and 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds as well as the 60g of cashews.  My dressing also has 1 clove crushed garlic and 2 Tbsp of brown sugar.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:32:20 pm »
Meganjane that sound lovely must give it a go next time  :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 11:45:09 pm »
This salad sounds really nice, I have been looking at it for a couple of weeks now ;D I might try it with basmati rice ;)

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:05:12 am »
Cool Amy, let us know what you think  :D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 01:17:15 pm »
Amy, it really needs the 'crunch' of brown rice to work. That said, you never know, Basmati might work.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:50 pm »
Brown rice puts SD's blood sugar up Meg, thats why I was going to have a go with basmati. It can be an experiment ;)