Author Topic: Kenwood cooking chef - alternative to Thermomix?  (Read 49820 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Re: TMX vs Kenwood Cooking Chef
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 05:27:23 am »
From what I understand, the Kenwood is:
- adapted to cook, not designed to cook, and takes longer to cook;
- it is hard to clean, has 8 different attachments (so you process, change attachment, then cook, change attachment, etc; and different stirrers need to be attached to stir different things - one for soups, a different one for chunkier things, etc) - sounds quite fiddly to use;
- only has 8 mixing speeds;
- is lots heavier (13kg as opposed to 6.3kg for the tmx);
- I don't think the temperature is stable once it reaches the set temp - the manual says to check it once it reaches the temp set, as you may need to turn it down after a bit. 
- and on page 13 of the manual it lists all the optional EXTRA attachments you have to buy if you want it to process, slice & grate, grind, juice, weigh, etc!!!  once you bought all those it wouldn't be cheaper than the Thermomix, I don't think!

If you want to see the manual, it's here
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:13 am »
Sounds like TMX wins again. ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 05:38:59 am »
Yahoo!!!  ;D

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 08:21:11 am »

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:57 am »
Hey!  I hadn't seen that thread - thanks  :D

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Re: Kenwood cooking chef - alternative to Thermomix?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 01:11:26 pm »
Can't juice or grind by the looks of things. Mind you, if  I didn't have a TMX I'd have looked at it. I don't find the TMX does the egg/cream whipping and cake mixing as well as a basic benchtop electric mixer does . This machine would manage that.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 02:43:07 am »
I've put these two topics together for future reference.

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 05:05:59 am »
Thanks for combining the 2 threads Cookie.. I should have done a search prior to posting my new message.

IMHO, it appears the TMX beats the Kenwood hands down.

One of the biggest things I absolutely love about the TMX is the built-in scales. Fantastic!! ...

I did read on another forum someone complain about the scales being "notoriously inaccurate"!? But that's the first complaint I've heard.. And so far, mine have been very fine.

Thanks for everyone's replies.
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

stacelee

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »
I actually bought one of these today....courtesy of an indulgent husband, an amazing deal at Clive Peters including two years interest free. I justified it as I was going to get a second jug and I still have my commercial kitchen aid which I am now going to sell to help pay for it. I am definitely keeping my thermomix which I love but with the amount of cooking I do the second machine will be great.

My initial impression of the machine is very positive, it is very solid and all the parts seem very well made. Unlike my kitchen aid, the beaters etc are all stainless steel and can therefore go through the dishwasher.  The machine is not light but my current kitchen aid weighs a ton so has always lived out on the bench. I made a batch of biscuits tonight, while the thermomix was making chocolate slice.  It did a great job and was very easy to clean.  It came with the food processor, blender and steamer basket...I may end up with the pasta roller attachment and freezer bowl eventually.  I will try cooking with it tomorrow.

It definately is not a machine for anyone lacking in kitchen space. It is about twice the size of the Tm31 and the bits need bit of storage space.  The bowl is a lot bigger than the thermomix, 6.7 liters, but is only 3 liters for hot food.  It didn't come with a cookbook which surprised me a little, there are just a couple of recipes at the back of the manual.  Their website is very good but I wouldn't like to be someone without Internet access trying to work out recipes....the thermomix wins hands down there. 

I'm going to try scrambled eggs in it tomorrow, while Tom (tm31) is making bread....it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 12:34:30 pm »
Wow stacelee, I will be really interested in seeing how you find it. I watched a utube video of it  yesterday
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 10:40:50 pm »
The machine is bound to have some positive and some negative points as all machines do but to not come with a cookbook, I find that unbelievable.  Good luck with the machine stacelee - it will be interesting to hear more comments from you in regard to this machine's performance.  Personally, the TMX will do me as it is such a compact little machine and does everything I want and what would we do without this forum for support, guidance and inspiration.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 11:42:44 pm »
Me too, I'm happy with the TM but will be interested to hear of what you think of the Kenwood as you go along.  I too think it's very strange not having many recipes as it is a different way to cook and people would need guidance especially at first.  ???

stacelee

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 11:54:56 pm »
We had a very indulgent breakfast today, made batter for waffles(using the wonderful recipe from here) in Tom and made scrambled eggs in Ken.  Was nice having the two machines to use but probably didn't make it a lot faster as I had to keep flipping from one recipe to another....but time will fix that.  Cleaning up from the eggs in Ken was probably a little easier to do then when Ive used Tom, no sharp blades to get cooked egg off of, but I had to wash the stirrer and  bowl by hand.  Tom had a quick wash by himself and was ready to go again with my bread.  My son wants a smoothie soon and Tom is busy making bread (okay....actually sitting with the dough in it cos I'm to lazy to do the second knead by hand) so I will be able to give a report on the blender attachment.  At the moment if I had to choose between the two machines, I would probably still choose Tom as it feels more straight forward to use....but I was scared of it at first too.  I will try making a stew or curry in it tonight to see how it goes...Tom will make the rice or pasta.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 12:59:14 am »
I love that they are Tom and Ken  ;D I have Elisabeth and George but they are both TMs lol I wonder if they will ever make babies  :D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 06:29:17 am »
You will  make lots of money if they do Meagan.

Stacelee you are a lucky girl. Keep us informed of the exploits of Tom and Ken.