Author Topic: Thermochef...  (Read 108715 times)

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
Thermochef...
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:36:16 am »
Hi - has anyone heard of these, there are quite a few videos on youtube of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEtBlPlKQDo

Features look very familiar! Have heard a rumour they will be coming in soon at a price of under $1000.

Could be interesting competition... I guess it doesn't come with the reputation on the tmx though.
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Thermochef...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:45:29 am »
I have been doing a little research on them as they are based on the TM21

from what I can gather so far, there is no reverse function, the scales are separate from the bowl (ie you have to weigh into something first on the side).

Everything on the videos seems to be cut a lot smaller than we would with the TM to start with (more time consuming)

I haven't been able to work out if you are able to use the rice basket with the varoma as yet ...

Some would like the stainless steamer - but they do get very very hot.

I did like the idea of the steamer locking into the bowl like it did. Not sure if I could cope with that being permanent though as my steamer is often on and off the bowl as I cook. Would be a nice option if you could get it.

anyway that is my observations from watching the videos the last couple of weeks  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:49:21 am »
They have been in Spain for quite a while from what i have heard.
They are as Faffa says a take off of the TM21.
They are made in China and have a 1 yr warranty.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:31:05 am »
Mm, no reverse function seems a bit silly. I use reverse all the time. And yes, I was wondering if the stainless steel would get hot. I wonder if it uses the same gearless technology in the motor as TMX, as that is what makes it so long-wearing isn't it. I'd be worried about it being made in China!

Still, perhaps a cheaper option for those who really want a tmx but really cannot afford one at the time.
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline mkr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:43:35 am »
Mm, no reverse function seems a bit silly. I use reverse all the time. And yes, I was wondering if the stainless steel would get hot. I wonder if it uses the same gearless technology in the motor as TMX, as that is what makes it so long-wearing isn't it. I'd be worried about it being made in China!

Still, perhaps a cheaper option for those who really want a tmx but really cannot afford one at the time.

I wonder if those that didn't want to spend the money for a TM31 might be better off purchasing a secondhand TM21 rather than a cheap Chinese copy.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:47:47 am »
If people think they can't afford a tm, do they think they can afford an imitation? $1000 is still a lot of money, and if I were spending an amount like that, I'd want to make sure what I was purchasing was worth it. I, too, would be more inclined to get a tm21 to the thermochef.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 09:33:56 am »
My husband found them on this website (by the people who sell "The Pizza Maker", for $799.

http://www.newwavekitchenappliances.com.au/catalogue/products/thermochef-natura/thermochef-natura

Hmmm and doesn't it look like they've tried to copy the TMX.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »
Very interesting.
I don't think it's as good as TMX and dont' like the side scale or the lcd display (is it just me but I find things break quicker with the extra technology, and the lcd on my slow cooker went many years ago but as it still cooks great for me I haven't replaced it, lol).
But for $1000 less I'd certainly be considering it if I was looking into buying a tmx. I don't think it looks $1000 less good ifykwim.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 01:40:08 pm »
Just looking at the next you tube video, OMG how can they have copied that much without breaking copyright. The spatula, basket are exactly the same. the 'varoma' is other than the stainless steel thing (which I thought makes it that bit different along with the way it slots on). But really too much of a copy!!!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 12:17:02 am »
don't worry if you keep watching you will find the recipe they copied too including the ingredient of "TM vegetable stock concentrate" lol  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline TM_Ted

• Ted is from Woodville in Sth Aust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 12:38:58 am »
I bought a Chinese copy of an iPhone for AUD$57.00. It looks like an iPhone 3 and is like an iPhone. However, a lot of the functionality is missing, Bluetooth sort of works, Camera is a waste of time. I am a technophobe but not into apps (yet). I am leaving that to when I get my iPad for my birthday in a few weeks.

These days you can only expect what you pay for. Never-the-less I am happy with my phone and to overcome the camera aspect I bought a low cost digital camera from Harvey Normans that takes fantastic pictures.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 01:31:50 am »
Whilst I think the TMX is brilliant and great quality, I think it is overpriced in Australia though.  You only have to look at the price of the thermomixes coming up on ebay from international countries.  Distributors would be getting much better pricing and consultants don't get much of a cut for all their effort (and expenses). 

Just my two cents worth !

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 11:02:15 am »
Hi all, just wondering if anybody has actually seen one of these machines in action yet?

They are now available through Matchbox Stores ?

It is like the old Themromix TM21, but about half the price.

I believe they are made in China with a Japanese motor.

Have been looking for something for a friend and this seems a cheaper alternative?

Catch you all soon.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 11:09:26 am »
Hi TMXer, nice to see you on here. Guess someone has to be the first to buy one so that we can learn a little more about it eg are they happy with what it does, how long did it last etc  ;) ;) I see it has a 2 year warranty not a 1 year as previously stated so that is a bonus I guess.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:39:30 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:01 am »
Might bite the bullet and test them out ( prior to giving them their present - will just explain I was helping ensure they get the best results ;) )
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.