Author Topic: Frittatas in the Varoma  (Read 60402 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Frittatas in the Varoma
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:23 pm »
Perhaps someone can help me...

I tried this recipe tonight. I pre-steamed some sweet potato and spread it in the varoma tray with some tinned corn and tinned salmon. I poured the egg/milk mixture over, put 700g water in TM bowl and steamed for 15 mins/Varoma temp/speed 4. I checked the frittata at this stage and it wasn't cooked, so I set it for another 5 mins. Still not cooked, so set for another 5 mins. This went on for probably an hour. At one stage, I even had to refill the TM bowl with water. The final product still wasn't completely set on top.

What might I have done wrong?

Bonsai

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 01:39:33 pm »
Hi Amy I've never made this but am wondering if you put boiling water in the jug to start with (cold water would lengthen the cooking time) and if the frittata was in the upper or lower tray of the varoma. The bottom tray is deeper so would take longer to cook.

Just a thought.....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »
Amy, after the first 15 minutes, did you reset the varoma temperature or did you just reset the time?  I was going to suggest turning the speed up higher but I see you had already done that.  If you reset the temp every time you reset the time, topped up with boiling water when it needed it then I just can't understand why it wasn't set. Did you stick with the quantities as set out in the original recipe or do you think perhaps yours was much thicker.  I haven't done this for a while so I can't remember what mine was like.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 01:50:38 pm »
Oh I haven't tried this one before. Sounds really easy. Yum
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 12:18:40 am »
Hi Amy I've never made this but am wondering if you put boiling water in the jug to start with (cold water would lengthen the cooking time) and if the frittata was in the upper or lower tray of the varoma. The bottom tray is deeper so would take longer to cook.

I didn't put boiling water in the jug to start, but I still can't see why that would make it take an hour? When I topped it up I did use boiling water though. And I used the upper tray.

Amy, after the first 15 minutes, did you reset the varoma temperature or did you just reset the time?  I was going to suggest turning the speed up higher but I see you had already done that.  If you reset the temp every time you reset the time, topped up with boiling water when it needed it then I just can't understand why it wasn't set. Did you stick with the quantities as set out in the original recipe or do you think perhaps yours was much thicker.  I haven't done this for a while so I can't remember what mine was like.

I definitely reset the temperature JD. And I used a smaller quantity than the recipe because I was only cooking for two people. I am very confused, and a little bit disappointed because there are so many great reviews about it and I can't figure out where I went wrong... :'(

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 01:00:04 am »
Amy I make omeletes in the varoma regularly. They cook quickly,

I always use boiling water, thinking maybe your fritata was very tall?

Try making an omelette next time & see how you go.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 12:25:11 am »
Amy I make omeletes in the varoma regularly. They cook quickly,

I always use boiling water, thinking maybe your fritata was very tall?

Try making an omelette next time & see how you go.

Thanks... Halex/Hally (?) :-)) It might be the first time I actually manage to cook an omelette! I haven't had much luck in the past using omelette pans on the stove. My frittata was actually quite thin because I used only 4 eggs instead of 6. I prefer a thin frittata. And was only cooking for 2.

I would just like to tell everyone that despite the frustratingly long cooking time, the frittata was not only very yummy, but the leftovers served as a surprisingly good sandwich filling. Just smoosh between some bread and butter ;D Has anyone else tried this?

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 12:29:48 am »
Well the taste is what counts :D

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 06:56:41 pm »
What to make when you have leftover "bits and bobs" of food? Of course a Frittata. ;D Six eggs cooked in 15 minutes tonight.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 01:36:57 am »
That's a nice frittata Denise.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:05:56 am by judydawn »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 08:40:47 am »
Thanks Judy.Tasted good too ;D
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 09:20:21 am »
It certainly does look good. Clever thinking.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 09:24:32 am »
Thanks Cookie.It was a cheap meal,only cost me the price of six eggs ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2016, 08:17:44 pm »
Revisited this recipe tonight to make for something tasty for dinner to use up all the odds and ends in my fridge. DH and I enjoyed it immensely. ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2022, 08:56:25 am »
For a very late lunch/early tea today I thought I’d use this method for a steamed frittata as I have trouble eating anything fried or baked.  Very pleased with it, 5 meals for the freezer. I put in the Varoma dish not the tray, not sure why it would need to go in the tray.