Author Topic: Smoked Fish & Spinach Risotto (with photo)  (Read 13262 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Smoked Fish & Spinach Risotto (with photo)
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »
Name of Recipe:  Smoked Fish and Spinach Risotto

(based on recipe by Nigel Slater http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/08/nigel-slater-nordic-cured-fish)

Number of People: 2

Ingredients:

450 g milk
375 g smoked cod or haddock
2 bay leaves
6 black peppercorns
300 g fish or vegetable stock
1 small onion, peeled and quartered
50 g butter, cut into chunks
175 g arborio rice
100 g white wine
thin slice of butter
2 large handfuls of spinach leaves, shredded

Preparation:

- Place the milk into a saucepan large enough to take the fish.  Place the fish in the milk and add the bay leaves and peppercorns.
  Bring the milk to the boil and as soon as it shows signs of foaming, turn down the heat and simmer until the fish is just tender (8-10 minutes).
  Turn off the heat and leave the milk to infuse with the fish and aromatics.

-  Put the onion and butter in the  *: and chop for 3 seconds on speed 5.   Scrape down the sides of the bowl and cook for 5 minutes at 100, speed 1.

-  Add the rice and the wine and cook for 3 minutes, at 100 speed 1, MC off,  :-:

- Add the stock and 150g of the infused milk and cook for 13 minutes at 100, speed 2,  :-:

- While the risotto is cooking, remove the fish from the remaining milk (which can be discarded or saved for the cat) and separate it into large flakes.   Keep warm (in the thermoserver if you have one)

- Check that the rice is cooked and, if not, cook for another minute or so.

- Add the thin slice of butter and the shredded spinach and mix it in.   (I used a spatula to do this rather than the machine)

- Add the flakes of fish and fold in by hand, keeping the flakes as whole as possible.

-  Check the seasoning and add more if necessary

Photos:

Sorry about the quality of the photo - I've got a new phone and haven't mastered the camera on it.   Proper camera was upstairs

Tips/Hints:

- The original recipe uses 250 g of rice for 2 people which is too much for us so I cut the portion size down. 
- I used a mixture of smoked cod and haddock and the contrast between them was good.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Smoked Fish & Spinach Risotto (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:01:31 pm »
Looks delicious Katya.Had a giggle at the leftover cooking milk saved for the cat :D :D :D  Do you own any of Nigel Slaters cookbooks?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:08:08 pm »
Quite a lot of them CC.  OH is a Nigel fan and likes to cook from his books.   I like his recipes but find him a bit smug on TV   :-\ :-\

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:02:22 pm »
Quite a lot of them CC.  OH is a Nigel fan and likes to cook from his books.   I like his recipes but find him a bit smug on TV   :-\ :-\

I don't have any of his books.I've watched him a couple of times on the TV but he doesn't inspire me :-\
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:41:32 pm »
Katya, in Australia our smoked cod is yellow - don't know about smoked haddock, haven't seen any of that where I shop. Can you get the yellow one over in the UK or is ours something different.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 03:22:48 am »
So true Judy. I was surprised when I saw the photo as there was no yellow in it. This sounds rather nice. Great for DH and I in the van.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:11:15 am »
JD and Cookie:   Most of the smoked haddock and cod here are yellow but that is because  some kind of colouring has been added, maybe to distinguish it from the unsmoked variety.   I like to buy the uncoloured variety because it seems purer.   I don't think there's any difference in the taste

I forgot to say that this produces a lovely creamy risotto because of the addition of the milk 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:09:50 am »
I made this tonight for the current challenge.  Only slight changes, halved the butter, omitted the second lot of butter, used the excess flavoured milk to loosen the risotto as it was a bit thick and sprinkled some parmesan over the top. I'll get 3 serves from this recipe. Thanks Katya, it was an easy recipe and I enjoyed it but I know smoked fish is not to everyone's liking.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:13:40 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 02:42:33 am »
I have to say this risotto was even better the next day and because I'd added the excess fish flavoured milk, it was still nice and creamy and didn't need anymore liquid.  It's the only risotto I've made that hasn't gone gluggy after refrigeration.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:33:20 am »
Good to know that this Risotto reheats well Judy.