Author Topic: Review Pork & Apple Cider Stew pge 37 CFM&Y  (Read 3844 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Review Pork & Apple Cider Stew pge 37 CFM&Y
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:20:48 am »
When I saw how long the pork fillet in this recipe was cooked, I knew I had to change the recipe. 60 minutes for pork fillet is way too much time.  I only used 20g butter (not 60g) as I felt that too was excessive.  My fennel bulb was only a tiny one compared to some of the huge bulbs I've seen so I used most of it (100g), the eschalots I used weighed 45g, the bacon 65g and my pork fillet was only 300g instead of 400g. I had to use reverse/speed 1 until I removed the pork, only then would the food move on soft speed.

I cut the pork into roughly 4 cm pieces and after 10 minutes cooking, I removed them and kept them warm in my small thermosaver, adding them back in when the complete recipe only had 2 minutes to go.  I did reduce the second cooking time from 35 minutes to 25 minutes as the pearl barley was cooked by that time.

The stew thickened up nicely but it didn't really have that wow factor for me.  With the leftovers I'll make some pies as there is enough for another meal and at least 4 pies. I think it will make a nice pie filling.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Re: Review Pork & Apple Cider Stew pge 37 CFM&Y
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:00:47 pm »
Great review Judy.  I really think that when HQ has a new book coming out, they should send the recipes to you to try as you would give them an honest review with changes that need to be made. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:46 pm »
Thanks Trudy.  It's hard doing a review when you sound a bit picky but I'm sure everyone appreciates an honest review rather than no review at all. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:30:18 am »
I ended up making 6 pies from most of the leftovers with still have a tiny bit I'll have on toast for lunch another day.  These were quite nice but even better once I slathered them with tomato sauce  ;D  I thought the sauce would spoil them but in fact it enhanced the flavour tremendously.

Offline Halloway

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:07:07 am »
Made the pork and apple cider stew. Was so delicious.