Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507420 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 01:29:26 am »
I would be interested to read the results of your book club reading of 50 Shades
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 01:46:57 am »
Just finished The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton. First of his books I've read snd I'll be reading more. Language is a bit colorful and a bit of violence but a good plot and a good story.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:50 am »
Redfield Farm. Just started it, but it seems like it will be good.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 02:59:45 am »
I would be interested to read the results of your book club reading of 50 Shades

Me too.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 03:02:39 am »
My mum has got one of those kindle things and says she'd like to buy me one when she can afford to. But there's something I like about having a solid, paper and ink novel in my hand. Call me old-fashioned ;D

I used to say exactly the same thing and now I don't even look at second hand books when I go to the op shop. So many free books available on kindle.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 03:38:49 am »
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.
The book is about the strangle and determination of a penniless American who build fifty five schools in the remote villages of Pakistan a Taliban territory. The idea was to help the children, especially girls to be educated. I just finished reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 03:52:28 am »
None atm, but I love a good Jodi Picoult book.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 04:01:41 am »
On my list now  Desi

Gert

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 04:20:22 am »
Have done the 50 shades trilogy already- Ho hum in my estimation! I'm currently reading a fantastic book called " Buddhism for Mothers of school- children". I know it sounds very new age etc but a good friend of mine put  me onto it and I can't put it down. It has far less to do with Buddhism (the author practices Buddhism) and far more to deal with various strategies for dealing with common situations faced by mothers in general. it is a lovely book and a great read. Even though I am in no way Buddhist, the philosophies in the book are very sensible and I think we could all probably take a leaf out of certain aspects of Buddhism in our daily lives. That book along with my weekly yoga lessons are making me so calm, not to mention my recent holiday in Fiji! There's nothing like practicing yoga on a white sand beach on a Fijian Island listening to Cafe del Mar. Oh well, back to the reality of daily life- I am back at work to fund the next holiday now!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:41:31 am by Merlin »
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 04:36:42 am »
Merlin that sounds good, I'll have to put it on my list - both the yoga and the book!

It should be an interesting book club discussion  ;D I'm not expecting much from the book, I've read one that is meant to be "better" than 50 shades and it was a bit boring after the first 100 or so pages.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 04:38:44 am »
I also read Three Cups of Tea and thought the guy was really great - until I did some research on him and was sorely disappointed with what I learned.

I was also unsure about using a kindle because I like 'real' books, but I rapidly got used to the kindle and haven't looked back since getting it 1 1/2 years ago.

Gert, where do you go for the free books?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 05:00:09 am »
Aw shucks I do not  even know the name of the web site but I get a delivery every day around 1700 so I will come back and post It here then , I think I put it on the forum before but who know where.

Gert

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 05:10:13 am »
Have just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer.  Before that Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult and Leaving Jack by Gareth Crocker.  I have to admit to shedding a few tears over that one.

We get given quite a lot of books and once they are read we pass them on to a local fire brigade who hold a annual book fair as a money raiser.  They raise quite a bit of money this way.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 05:18:09 am »
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a good read.  I'd forgotten about that one, I really enjoyed it.

Gert, Andie posted the link to http://www.ereaderiq.com/ some time ago, do you use that one?

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 05:46:56 am »
I've downloaded a sample of the Hunger Games to my Kindle which I started last night.  I'll probably get the full version.  :)