Author Topic: ORANGE MUFFINS  (Read 36351 times)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
ORANGE MUFFINS
« on: June 15, 2009, 07:33:50 am »
These muffins are super easy and wonderfully moist and a great way to use the beautiful navel oranges that are in season at the moment.  The recipe makes around 12 to 14 depending on the tin size.

1 orange
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk or orange juice  (110 gms)
100g butter, melted
1 & 1/2 cups plain flour (330 gms)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda (carb)
1/2 cup sultanas or chopped dates  (110 gms)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)  (110 grms)

Turn oven to 200C.

Cut the unpeeled orange into 1/4's and place in TM with sugar.  Process for around 12 secs until very finely chopped.
Add the egg, milk and melted butter mix for a couple of secs and then add the flour, baking pwd and soda.  Process for about 15 secs and then mix in the sultanas and nuts if using.  (I use the spatula)

Spoon into greased muffin pans and bake for about 12-15 mins or until the tops are golden and centres spring back when pressed.

You can make these muffins the night before.  In fact they will keep a couple of days and can also be frozen.

members' comments

Thermomixer - Super easy and super tasty.  Thanks.

JD - apart from having to cook them for 30 minutes (my muffin pans are large ones) the recipe is just perfect - loved them.  I used pecan nuts which gives them a nice texture as you bite into them.

Janee-Zee - Sent hub out for oranges & he came back with Tangellos.............still tasted good. Added the choc chips & left out the sultanas & nuts.  Didn't bother melting the butter first - just spent 6 seconds on that step instead of 2.

marmee - thanks so much for the recipe.  So easy and yummy. We made with Gluten free flour, rice milk and egg replacer to suit little one's allergies - and turned out beautiful. We needed to add some more milk than the recipe to cater for the GF flour, and chose to reduce the sugar to 3/4 cups.  Used dates only and no nuts.  Chopped dates to a nice fine number in the TMX at the beginning, removed and then added in at the end. YUMMMMMMO.

bimbykitchenadventures - they are scrumptious! I used 3/4 cup sugar instead of 1 cup and added 100 g of some small chopped pieces of Lindt Intense Orange chocolate and they are divine! I will be sharing this one for sure!

maddy - Oh YUM Trudy, everyone loved them. Recipe made 24 regular muffins. I just went with 120 g choc chips only..... will definitely be trying them with the orange lindt next time.

nix -  I loved them. I didn't put in the sultanas, nuts or choc chips and they still worked. Only problem I found was that 1 1/2 cups of flour by my measurement didn't weight anything near 330gm so I split the difference - still worked fine.

ruth - I think I used 330 grams when I made these last week and they were a hit with mothers group, although a mum found an orange pip apparently so lucky that didn't go to one of the very young ones.

Rosie -  I'm not sure how many dozen I've made, they seem to go as fast as I can make them. Thanks so much for this recipe its delicious.  I used an old ice cream scoop with the flicky thing to scoop the mixture out, which gives a regular size and neat shape.

MJ - I've changed my recipe to 200 g sugar and 320 g of flour. I added an extra 2/3 of a cup of flour to get the 320 g. I used tangellos and they were delicious. I'm planning to make them with mandarins and lemons as well since I have so many of those given to me by people who are cleverer than me and grow them! I guess I'd add more sugar for lemons, or perhaps ice them.

Chelsea - Trudy these are divine.  I made them for the first time yesterday.  I made Jaffa ones with 100 g chopped pecans and 100 g chopped chocolate.  I just loved them smell of them baking. Mmmmmmmm! 

RoxyS - Trudy, these have become a staple in our house. I just make sure I buy an orange when I go shopping and when I have the oven on I make up a batch and then freeze any that don't get eaten straight away and that way DH has something for his morning & afternoon teas when he goes to work - unless the kids polish them off before then. I only make them with the choc bits and all my friends love them. Will have to try the Lindt idea.

CC - These were much appreciated in our house as well Trudy. I added chocolate and walnuts as DH and DS are not too keen on sultanas.

Zan - Oh yum!! Made these with choc chips, love them. I made 24 mini muffins and 4 larger (small muffin size) ones from the mix.

zebraa - REALLY GOOD! We made them with dates and the cousins came around to decorate them for Halloween. Huge though (I did normal muffin size) as they are so rich and moist. Next time I will do a mini size. I am going to play around with adding coco and maybe choc chips. And also some almond flour too. Very very nice recipe. Thanks.

Amanda - Just made these - beautiful! High in fibre, low in fat and great with choc chips!! Thanks Trudy.

Cookie - I made these as muffin tops the other day. I peeled the orange as it was a bit yuk and used sultanas. They are delicious.

medusa - they are really really yummy.  Next time I will do the choc chips lol!!

kezza - I have also made 2 batches in the last week as they are such a hit. Everyone loves them. I made one batch with sultanas and one plain -  the next batch I will try with choc chips.

Lainie - Great recipe Trudy, this has become a regular on my list.  Today I omitted the nuts and dried fruit, mixed in some poppy seeds before baking and then added some cream cheese icing for a decadent afternoon tea - yum!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:45:13 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: ORANGE MUFFINS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 09:10:04 am »
Super easy and super tasty.  Thanks.  Why are there sooooo many tasty recipes to make me fatter?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:03:37 am »
Trudy, I made these as soon as I read your recipe and apart from having to cook them for 30 minutes (my muffin pans are large ones) the recipe is just perfect - loved them.  I used pecan nuts which gives them a nice texture as you bite into them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:48:34 am »
I intend to give these a try, too.
I might make them Jaffa muffins by substituting choc chips for the sultanas!
I just can't help myself, can I?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 04:13:28 am »
Glad you liked them Judy.  Amanda let's know how the choc chips went!!

Trudy

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 02:46:50 pm »
Sent hub out for oranges & he came back with Tangellos.............still tasted good. Added the choc chips & left out the sultanas & nuts.  Didn't bother melting the butter first - just spent 6 seconds on that step instead of 2.

One gripe with recipes in general.  Can we try to put the weight in rather than cups - or has it previously been decided we use cup measurements.  It just feels wrong going back to cups when we have the in-built scales.

Anyway, thanks Trudy - yummo!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 01:09:53 am »

One gripe with recipes in general.  Can we try to put the weight in rather than cups - or has it previously been decided we use cup measurements.  It just feels wrong going back to cups when we have the in-built scales.

How about both measurements, this would then suit us all, one way or the other.  I sometimes find it easier to use the cup and not overpouring straight into the bowl and then having to remove some!

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 03:43:21 am »
Like you Judy I prefer to use cups as a measure.  I have found that the thermomix scales are not as acurate as I would like with baking recipes.  Perhaps I'm just a person who's hard to change!!!!

Trudy

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 08:07:48 pm »
My problem is ....how big is a cup?
I honestly havent a clue! ??? ??? ??? ???
Please could it be metric for the likes of me, who doesnt understand cups! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:02:44 am »
Bron, a cup measurement holds 250mls of liquid - I'm sure you would have something that size in your cupboard.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 01:47:32 am »
Our measuring jugs have Cups, mls, (sometimes fl oz as well), but even then cups do vary between countries!

Check out some of the online converters US cup = 237ml, Canadian cup = 227ml, metric cup =250ml
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 04:06:54 am »
I have just checked out the metric cups that I used when making these.  I then weighed them on metric scales that I have in the kitchen (NOT THE TM).  As you can see there is a slight difference between MLS and the GRMS.  I then measured the sugar using the TM.

1 cup  =  227gms  or  250mls
1/2 cup    112            125
1/4            58             60

TM MEASURES

1 cup   =   220
1/2 cup  =  110
1/4 cup  =  55

Hope this helps!!!

Trudy

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 11:55:03 am »
Thanks guys, will be measuring all my glasses, cups and beakers now to find the exact right size! The problem is everything has a different weight to its volume, but with this 250 ml measure it should help me! Thanks!
Amanda

Spain

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 08:07:23 am »
Made these today - thanks so much for the recipe.  So easy and yummy.

We made with Gluten free flour, rice milk and egg replacer to suit little one's allergies - and turned out beautiful.

We needed to add some more milk than the recipe to cater for the GF flour, and chose to reduce the sugar to 3/4 cups.  Used dates only and no nuts. 

Chopped dates to a nice fine number in the TMX at the beginning, removed and then added in at the end.

YUMMMMMMO.

Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 04:06:26 am »
Thanks Marmee,

Have a try at my lemon muffins as these are even better!!!!!!

Trudy