Author Topic: Swedish meatballs - Meat on the Menu Cookbook  (Read 26261 times)

Offline sarah30_AUS

• View Profile
Re: Swedish meatballs - Meat on the Menu Cookbook
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 05:31:27 am »
Hi. I am not getting much use from my varoma because I think my husband will balk at the lack of 'crunch' on his meat. i've thought about sealing in the char-grill pan and then using the varoma to finish off instead of the oven. Has anyone tried this?

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 07:33:45 am »
Looks like Thermomixer does something like that.

Sorry BB - I love the soft texture  :(  But often give them a flash in a hot pan with some oil for MrsT.

If I had to guess, I'd steam and then fry.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 03:51:55 am »
Hi. I am not getting much use from my varoma because I think my husband will balk at the lack of 'crunch' on his meat. i've thought about sealing in the char-grill pan and then using the varoma to finish off instead of the oven. Has anyone tried this?

I do it the other way - cook in the Varoma, heat a pan with little oil and then very quickly brown the outside.  Have done the same with pork chops/butterfly to keep the meat moist and then brown the outside to appeal to the eyes.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline sarah30_AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »
thanks guys will give it a go!

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 06:17:26 am »
made this again and I still rate it as a recipe!  I don't find my meatballs are soft but I do make them smallish - walnut-sized.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 12:47:50 am »
I finally got around to making these the other night when the forum was down and had forgotten the tip about not using another herb to replace the dill and so went ahead and replaced it with basil. I made the meatballs quite large and had about 800g of mince. Cooked them for 30 minutes and found they cooked just fine. Made sure I cut one open to check it was cooked through as they don't brown up like they do when I do them in the oven. My sauce was a bit on the thinner side than I had expected but just fine.

My teenage DD had said she didn't like meatballs as I usually make them in the oven and serve with a tomato based sauce so I was very happy when she gave these the thumbs up. It was a hot day when I made them so was great to be able to do them in the Varoma and encouraged me as I haven't done much in my Varoma and the other meatballs I had tried, I hadn't liked. 5/5 from me. Will definitely make again when my younger DD is well and can taste them as she isn't keen on anything tomato based and normally has meatballs without sauce.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 04:58:47 am »
Great to hear - get into varoma cooking.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 10:11:11 am »
This is definitely the one Varoma dish I do regularly and the meatballs turn out really moist and tasty. I agree to double the   quantity of mince for the meatballs but not the sauce components. Also, I found dill does work best. After I planted dill in my garden it took a long while to grow. I'd just about given up on it when it turned the corner and resuscitated itself! Have tried both parsley and dill for this recipe but the dill definitely is preferable for the Scandinavian authenticity. This MOTM recipe is foolproof!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Woerd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 10:46:52 pm »
I love swedish meatballs and can't get the book for awhile as I live in a remote area.  Can someplese please PM me the recipe as well please? 

Thanks. : )

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 12:11:25 am »
Will do
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Woerd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 12:22:26 am »
That was fast.  I love this place : )  Thanls so much JD.  I am going to try these tomorrow.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 01:46:40 am »
I made this last night, and loved it  I made golfball size meatballs and they were cooked in 25 minutes.  I did leave a bit of space for the steam to get through.  I doubled the meat part of the recipe, so had to do some of the meat balls in the frying pan.  The others I did in the varoma and browned in the frying pan at the end.

Verdict- the ones done in the varoma and then the frying pan were much nicer :)

Served with mashed potato and lingonberry jam 5/5

Offline Melly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 08:47:00 am »
Can someone pm the recipe to me to please :) I haven't tried my varoma yet :)

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 07:49:53 am »
Had this tonight.

I'd probably give it a 4/5.
Just personal preference, I'm not so keen on dill, I did like the sauce though.
dd1 loved them, dd2 hated them, dd3 liked them, I thought they were ok, happily ate them but wouldn't rush to have them again.
Do think they would have been nicer with a go in the fry pan after cooking.

Offline CateCanCook

• View Profile
    • Cate Can Cook
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 11:39:21 pm »
I made the swedish meatballs last night - and it was my first dismal failure with the TM.  I doubled the meat - as others have suggested - tried to make sure the steam vents were not all covered - even moed them around during cooking (which I more than doubled!!) - and my meatballs did not cook  :'( I ended up having to microwave them so the kids could eat!!!  What have I done wrong???  I am actually "testing" the varoma right now to make sure all is good!!!  I think I must have just overcrowded?????

Another question - does anyone get strange noises occasionally at say speed 9?  Also just made the marble cake from EDC and it didn't mix too well (please don't tell me my new friend is having a breakdown!!)
Cate - come visit me at .....

www.catecancook.blogspot.com