Author Topic: Roses's Christmas Scrolls  (Read 13164 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Roses's Christmas Scrolls
« on: November 28, 2010, 05:49:55 am »
 Xmas Scrolls
« on: Today at 05:59:43 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just converted this recipe to the TM and since these scrolls are an alternative or an addition to Fruit Mince Pies, they will be a hit over the Xmas period... and they are delicious! 

NOTE: This is a 12 Hour Recipe

Fruit Mince

Ingredients:
750g Mixed Fruit (Sunbeam)
250g Brown Sugar
½ Orange & ½ Lemon Rind
Juice of 1 Orange & 1 Lemon
270-290g Peeled & Quartered Apples (Granny Smith)
125g Butter
½ tsp Butter
½ tsp Cinnamon
Nutmeg & Mixed Spice (Pinch of each)
Ύ Cup of Brandy

Method:
•   Lemon & Orange Peel – Grate-Speed 6 for 3 Seconds. Remove & Set Aside.
•   Put Apple quarters into TM – Speed 6 for 3 Seconds. Remove & put into separate Mixing Bowl.
•   Put half of the Mixed Fruit into TM – Speed 6 for 5 Seconds then repeat with the remainder of Mixed Fruit. Add to the  Mixing Bowl with Apples.
•   Put butter, Lemon & Orange Juice & grated rind, Brandy, spices & sugar into TM. Cook mixture 3 Minutes – Temp 70 – Reverse - Speed 2.
•   Pour mixture over the fruit in the mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly with TM Spatula.
•   Cover & put into the fridge for at least 8 hours (Overnight).
•   Minced Fruit can be used now or for best flavour, put into large jars in the fridge for a month or two prior to use.
NOTE:  Do not be tempted to hurry the process by putting the mixture into the Microwave or you will lose most of the Antioxidants in the fruit!
This is my family recipe which I have converted for the TM. This mixture can be used for Fruit Mince Tarts, Scrolls etc.
If you leave this mixture brew for 2 months it will be even better!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scrolls

Ingredients
150g Caster Sugar
300ml Warm Milk (plus extra to glaze)
100g Butter
1 Egg
580g Plain Flour
14g Yeast
Ό Cup Flaked Almonds
Ό Cup Apricot Jam
450g Fruit Mince

Process:
If using raw sugar, process in TM for 3 seconds on speed 8 then remove & set aside.
Put warm milk and butter (chopped roughly) in TM 5 Seconds on speed 6.
Add 1 egg to mixture in TM and select reverse, 5 seconds on speed 3 then set aside (don’t rinse the TM bowl).
Combine Flour, Caster Sugar and Yeast in a mixing bowl, transfer to TM and then add the milk/butter/egg mixture on top.
Set TM to Knead for 6 minutes, stopping to scrape down side a couple of times.
Turn onto a floured board/mat and knead lightly to ensure mixture is smooth & elastic then place into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let prove in a warm place for 30 to 60 minutes (time varies with atmosphere etc) until dough has doubled in size.
Grease and line a large baking tray (I use 2 trays).
Punch down dough once in the centre, remove from bowl and knead lightly then press or roll dough to 35cm x 30cm rectangle. Spread Fruit Mince all over dough (to 2cm from edge).
Starting at the short end, roll up dough to enclose filling as firmly as possible without squishing it. This is a bit tricky but you will get the hang of it.
Cut into 3cm slices with a floured knife and transfer to prepared baking tray (I use the side blade of a large knife to do this) and place cut side up.
Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place to prove for approx. 30 to 45min (until puffy).
Preheat Oven to 200 or 180 for Fan Forced once scrolls have proved.
Brush scrolls lightly with extra milk then scatter flaked almonds over scrolls.
Bake for 25min (until scrolls are lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped).
Put Apricot jam into a dish of boiling water to heat once the scrolls are in the oven (you can microwave the jam but remember you will lose most antioxidants when microwaving).
Once scrolls are removed from the oven and while still warm, brush the jam over top to glaze.
I usually separate the scrolls once they are cool enough to touch and I use a knife in conjunction with tearing them.
Once Scrolls are cool you can bag them individually and freeze for lunches or start eating them right away!

I would use tooth floss to cut the scrolls. It is so much easier. Don't use minted floss though!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:45:07 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Re: Roses's Christmas Scrolls
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:30:20 am »
Thanks cookie - my MIL loves fruit mince in anything so will get these ready for her visit.  Cheers - Robyn  :)   :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:41:36 am »
Robyn I have a recipe for fruit mince doughnuts. I hope to try it before Christmas but it is pretty easy. You simply make a sweet bread dough or brioche. Roll out little pieces and put a teaspoon of fruit mince in the centre. Shape into a ball and bake in the oven. You can dip them in a sugar syrup and roll in sugar then if you wish. If you want to try them let me know.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:43:11 am »
Once Scrolls are cool you can bag them individually and freeze for lunches or start eating them right away!

or even take a photo so we can see what they look like  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:51:10 am »
That sound s wonderful cookie - although I have to admit I have not been overly happy with any of my bread attempts in TMX, despite JD offering great advice, after I did a PM whinge.  One would expect that proving would not be the problem in Central Qld summertime but that process seems to be my downfall.  Cheers - Robyn  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 02:12:44 am »
The photo is on it's way CP63. I didn't get them finished yesterday. I only soaked the fruit in brandy. ;) ;) Hopefully later today.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:42 pm »
Jean do you still make these. Sounds delicious
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 11:42:04 am »
I had completely forgotten about them Denise. I may have to make some this year. We love anything with fruit mince.
The only change I would make would be to use tooth floss to slice the scrolls. I will put it in the recipe.