Author Topic: Vorwerk advises of Faulty Seals in some TM31s  (Read 53537 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: Vorwerk advises of Faulty Seals in some TM31s
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 07:18:42 am »
Chocolatte, it is confusing.  I think the advice given is to guard against anymore burns etc.  As not all machines in the affected range were giving problems they have given advice to cover the lot just in case.  I have only had the one occasion when my machine sprayed hot food from the bowl.  I believe for some unknown reason the blades were still spinning when I removed the lid. The timer had timed out and I moved the switch to the open position and took the lid off.   I have had no further problems but I always make sure now that I hear the blades stop.  The green seals have arrived but the fitting of them makes puting the lid on very hard.  I know they are supposed to get easier the more it is used but I feel the added pressure needed to put the lid on would not do the machine any good as it is inclined to slide on the bench when locking the lid which I think would damage the scales.  It also puts more  pressure on the workings under the jug.  At this stage I am not using the green seal but being extra careful. I cannot understand how running the machine on speed 1 for 3 seconds (TMX advice) does anything to help the seal problem but it does slow down the blades.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 07:32:09 am »
I have a question but not sure if it has already been asked.

I have a machine that was not affected by the problems.

I want to buy a second bowl but the bowl on offer comes with a green seal.

Is it ok for my machine?
I do the best I can

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 08:21:19 am »

Is it ok for my machine?
I would ring Thermomix Head Office and ask them that way you will know for sure.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 09:05:45 am »
Marie  :-\
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 06:29:26 am »
Thanks for the reply Emme. I haven't had any problems with my machine, which is in the affected range, at all. However it has only had light use. I think I will just use the existing seal with caution. The spare seal I bought at the time I purchased my machine has not been used and I think it is probably safest not to use that one at all. The green seals are in the cupboard, I probably should at least see how difficult they are to fit.

Edited to add: I just re read your post. It sounds like it could be a blade problem rather than a seal problem. That is a lot more concerning.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:32:19 am by Chocolatte »

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 08:12:16 am »

Is it ok for my machine?

I called thermomix today.  The answer to my own question is, yes I need to replace the green seal with a grey one.  The green seals are only to be used by the affected machines.

Although their website doesn't show the grey seals as available, if you call them, you can order for immediate dispatch.
I do the best I can

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:34 am »
Chrissa, I am glad you checked it out  ;D

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 10:52:07 am »
I have re read the official statement on the Thermomix Australia site and I am more confused than ever. They are indeed saying it is the appliance that is affected, not the bowl or even the seal really. If the problem was only a batch of faulty seals they wouldn't be giving those affected an extra years warranty. I think there is something that we are not being told.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 11:24:57 am »
I have tried fitting the new green seal. It is indeed a tight fit in the lid , but it also makes it very difficult to attach the lid to the bowl. The lid is stiff to turn and I have arthritis in my hands. Which was the whole point of buying the Thermomix in the first place. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 09:36:25 pm »
Just read this post & I'm definitely confused.

I assume when we are referring to machines it's just the bowl part that's an issue.

I have 2 bowls one in the affected range & 1 not (second bowl received as part of the half price deal).

So one grey & one green seal. It's easy to tell which seal to replace as mine hardly stayed in. The green seal is definitely tight & I have to be firm putting the lid on.

This weekend I'll have to have a look at the thermomix website as to what they are saying.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 12:18:26 am »
Just read this post & I'm definitely confused.

I assume when we are referring to machines it's just the bowl part that's an issue.

I have 2 bowls one in the affected range & 1 not (second bowl received as part of the half price deal).

So one grey & one green seal. It's easy to tell which seal to replace as mine hardly stayed in. The green seal is definitely tight & I have to be firm putting the lid on.

This weekend I'll have to have a look at the thermomix website as to what they are saying.

I have an unaffected machine and asked the question on their facebook page and rang them.

The bowls can be used on any tm31 machine but the green seal MUST be used on affected models and the grey seal MUST be used on non-affected models.

Give them a call anyway to confirm.
I do the best I can

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 02:14:46 am »
I am so glad I am not involved in this and feel for those that are. It sounds very confusing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 02:16:11 am »
i am with you Mrs C
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2016, 06:20:35 am »
All those with affected machines please take care. It appear that the green seal has not fixed the problem. I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link but there is a story on the Sydney Morning Herald site today about a lady in Perth being burnt in January 2016.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2016, 07:36:45 am »
I would post it please Chocolatte, it could save someone else being burnt.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.