Author Topic: Vorwerk advises of Faulty Seals in some TM31s  (Read 53534 times)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Vorwerk advises of Faulty Seals in some TM31s
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:05:04 pm »
Moderators, please delete if inappropriate . . Those of you on FB and receiving updates from Thermomix Australia will also see this . .

VORWERK Elektrowerke GmbH & Co KG (Vorwerk), the manufacturer of Thermomix has recently identified that the sealing ring of the mixing bowl may not function properly in a small number of Thermomix Model 31 (TM31) appliances.

In rare circumstances, if a potentially affected TM31 is operated at high RPMs, (ie at a high speed of four or above) when pureeing and then is immediately switched to the ‘lid open’ position, there is a possibility that liquid or food may splash out of the mixing bowl. This could lead to a scald or burn.

The issue may occur in only a small number of appliances manufactured between October 2012 and May 2014 and have a service number within the range of 124231xx – 142031xx.

Vorwerk has advised that customers can continue to safely use any potentially affected appliances, by following these simple instructions:

Operating Instructions:
1. After using speeds of level 4 or above, turn the speed selector down to level 1.
2. Leave the speed selector on level 1 for three seconds.
3. Turn the speed selector to 'open lid' and carefully open the lid.
(Please see pictures attached to this post)

Further Information:

In Europe, Vorwerk has provided the operating instructions (set out above) to customers, so they can continue using their TM31 safely. Vorwerk will also be replacing the sealing rings of all potentially affected appliances.
Vorwerk is liaising with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) about the course of action to follow in Australia. Vorwerk will keep Thermomix in Australia and customers informed.

Service Number: For customers to determine if their appliance may be affected, customers can refer to the service number, which is found underneath their appliance. Please see the diagram attached which highlights the service number.

Customers can contact Thermomix for more information:
• Contact Centre: 1800 788 332 in Australia or 0800 23 3131 in New Zealand.
• Email: customercare@thermomixaustralia.com.au
Please note this was posted at approximately 5am AEST in line with the global announcement.

LikeLike ·  · Share
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:06:57 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vorwerk advises of Faulty Seals in some TM31s
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:01:04 am »
Definitely not inappropriate GF, thanks for posting this information.  I've just moved it so that it won't get lost in chit chat.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:50:15 am »
Thanks for that, Judy. :)

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:54:16 am »
And wouldn't you know it - I've got one!

Looks like I'll be getting a replacement seal then.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:07:56 am »
Oh, rats Nikkit! Mine was bought Nov2012, but the number isn't in that range...phew!
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline zebby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 12:59:03 pm »
Mine is way out of that range as in 5 years old but it does that too. I wonder if it is because I am using a new seal from that date range?

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 01:40:34 pm »
I've got one too. Thanks GF.

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 01:59:22 pm »
Hi Goldfish, thanks very much for alerting us to this.  Sorry to hear you have ones in that range Itsnotartitsdinner and Nikkit, have you experienced the issue?

I had the same thought as you Zebby, as we have a new seal purchased during that date range we have only just started using (no hot splashes yet, so will take extra care in future).

The wording in the above release is identified that the sealing ring of the mixing bowl may not function properly in a small number of Thermomix Model 31 (TM31) appliances.

So is it a potential problem with a small number of TMs, their seals or lids in those TMs?  How about Bowl & Blade sets manufactured during the period?

PS just saw this announcement on Thermomix UK's site, a bit more detailed than AU ... and offering an automatic extra 12 months warranty for affected machines (in the UK) ...

http://thermomix.vorwerk.co.uk/tm31-sealing-ring/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:09:25 pm by O4aTimtam »
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 01:40:09 am »
Unreal!

UK TM you are trying hard to keep people happy.

Aus TM...I have no words :(

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 12:19:16 pm »
Hi Nikkit, and others,

An updated announcement on TM HO's facebook page to say Vorwerk are extending the Australian warranty for affected machines by 12 months too ...
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 11:30:57 pm »
Yes, I just read that. And so they should...although it doesn't fix the problem does it?

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 11:39:56 am »
I guess we are all still waiting to hear how they will rectify the problem. I received the email because my machine's serial number is in the range. I also bought a spare seal, which is still in its plastic packet, not long after I purchased my machine. I'm not game to use the spare seal either. Some of the burns pictured on the thermomix facebook page look very nasty.

My MC is part of the batch that cracked as well. I haven't bothered to organise a replacement MC with my consultant. I am still peeved that when I ordered a copy of For Foods Sake from her that she actually delivered her used copy, the one that she brought to demos. Complete with food splashes on a couple of the pages. I didn't discover that it was a used copy till she left.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 11:58:39 am »
I guess we are all still waiting to hear how they will rectify the problem. I received the email because my machine's serial number is in the range. I also bought a spare seal, which is still in its plastic packet, not long after I purchased my machine. I'm not game to use the spare seal either. Some of the burns pictured on the thermomix facebook page look very nasty.

My MC is part of the batch that cracked as well. I haven't bothered to organise a replacement MC with my consultant. I am still peeved that when I ordered a copy of For Foods Sake from her that she actually delivered her used copy, the one that she brought to demos. Complete with food splashes on a couple of the pages. I didn't discover that it was a used copy till she left.
I would return the spare seal for a replacement too Chocolatte.You bought it in good faith and now there is a potential problem you are wise not to use it.
How naughty of your consultant to off load a used For Foods Sake cookbook onto you.This is terrible and so underhanded. >:( Get your new MC you deserve it :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »
and ask your consultant for a new book.  What the!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 12:24:49 pm »
and ask your consultant for a new book.  What the!

I should have, but didn't know how to phrase it politely but firmly at the time. Too much time has passed now.

I am hoping that I can get the seals and measuring cup replaced directly from Thermomix Australia. As far as I am aware they haven't made a decision to actually replace the seals in Australia, as of today's date. The only thing that is definite is one year extra warranty.