Author Topic: USA Thermomix  (Read 78346 times)

Offline ElectronGuru

• View Profile
USA Thermomix
« on: September 19, 2014, 02:48:08 am »
Love it electronguru. Exactly right about engineers!

Totally agree with the way Americans cook  or rather don't cook. I do believe there will be more publicity and exposure with the TM5 in the US where it is not well known. Could even appear on Chefy shows like MasterChef and no doubt celebrity chefs doing their thing as the machine is in many restaurants .

It will be very interesting to see what happens and if it takes off with the good cooks in American homes.

Gert

Oh I do so hope Vorwerk will Sell the TM5 in the US. I miss having a tmx desperately. I think the major obstacle is the measurement issue, ie metric versus imperial. When I first got here (temporarily living in the US after relocating from Australia) I was asking for 200 grams of this or that and shop assistants looked set me blankly.  The non- use of metric is a huge hurdle to overcome. I'm constantly having to convert in my head, mikes to Kms, hrsms to ounce, Fahrenheit yo Celsius etc.

I see the hardest thing for Thermomix  getting into the US is the fact that Americans still use the imperial measuring system while the rest of the world is metric.
With the scales measuring in grams, some Americans will find that a stumbling block.

I've been giving these questions some thought. How would a successful US launch of the Thermomix look?

Measurement units are important and Americans will freak at grams and celsius. But the US is also a huge market. They already made a version just for Canada. A model with ounces and fahrenheit and the 110v the Canadian version already has, is a necessary no brainer. The challenge would come with recipes on the Internet. So ideally, the new digital version can be configured for either or both and easily translate between them.  

The history of our processed food obsession goes back to WWII. We needed to get edible food (lots of it) all over the place and it needed to be stable for weeks and months. The government hired companies to come up with processes that would achieve that. And through the war, they got really good at it and got really big selling it. After the war, their built in market disappeared so they went about creating a new market. They went about teaching us how to eat faster, eat instant. First they took over the shelves and freezers of grocery stores. Then they took over the shelves and freezers of restaurants. Today, its a rare American who doesn't eat something that was dried or frozen at least part of every day. And for many, its every meal, perhaps the entire meal.

So there's huge need for such an appliance here. But how will the people who can benefit most, know that Thermomix is the answer? It costs 3-4x that of the highest cost general use countertop appliance here. To get Americans to pony up, Vorwerk needs to show why its better than everything they already have, why it won't end up collecting dust in the corner along with the last 5 appliances they bought. And Americans are very intuition based. So adding to the challenge is that the Thermomix looks like a fancy blender. Breaking through the noise and objections, will require something like this:

Old fashioned
video showing the old process (lots of time and work) with the old results (healthy and tasty)
long list of steps and time per step and huge total minutes, showing knives and pans
long list of benefits, including fiber
short list of sugar / salt / transfats

New fashioned
video showing the new process (little time or work) with the new results (unhealthy and bland)
short list of steps and time per step with tiny total minutes, showing plastic and microwaves
short list of benefits
long list of sugar / salt / transfats

Thermomix fashioned
video showing the TM process (little time or work) with the new TM result (healthy and tasty)
short list of steps and time per step with tiny total minutes
long list of benefits, including fiber
short list of sugar / salt / transfats

Thermomix: old fashioned health at new fashioned speed

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:50:47 am by ElectronGuru »

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
Re: USA Thermomix
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:22:28 pm »
Another problem relates to the cookbooks.  The measurements will all be in metric which for the average American, will make them next to useless.  So what recipes/instructions are they to follow?  I live in Canada and while we are officially a metric nation, imperial measurements are still used.  However, metric has been around long enough that as a general rule, most folks don't have a problem with it, including older farts like myself.  It is also interesting to note that while we can buy the Thermomix in Canada, we cannot buy all of the cookbooks or Thermomix related items such as the Thermoserve, I think it is called, which personally, I find annoying.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:38:10 pm »
ElsieD,  the Thermoserver is only available in Australia because TMX Australia bought the company or exclusive rights to produce this.  I stand corrected if this isn't correct.

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 02:54:07 pm »
ElsieD,  the Thermoserver is only available in Australia because TMX Australia bought the company or exclusive rights to produce this.  I stand corrected if this isn't correct.

Thank you, that explains why we can't get it here.  Too bad for us.  :-\

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 03:53:06 pm »
OMG I think if something takes off in Australia first it will blast off all over the world. As a young country with very little hierarchy and a strong multicultural influence, we are open and accepting to new ideas and new ways and people who are prepared to buck the system. We like to be different but we don't think we're different (I might copyright that phrase  ;))

It's insane that the whole world does not use the same measurement system! Gosh if we can all unite as one, it could be on food alone and forget all the religious stuff. Isn't it funny how families unite over the table and cultures are defined by the food.

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 10:42:30 pm »
cream puff that is so true, we all unite together over good food and wine,. ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 12:12:31 am »
OMG I think if something takes off in Australia first it will blast off all over the world. As a young country with very little hierarchy and a strong multicultural influence, we are open and accepting to new ideas and new ways and people who are prepared to buck the system. We like to be different but we don't think we're different (I might copyright that phrase  ;))

It's insane that the whole world does not use the same measurement system! Gosh if we can all unite as one, it could be on food alone and forget all the religious stuff. Isn't it funny how families unite over the table and cultures are defined by the food.

Here here
Denise

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 05:57:30 am »
I went to a TM5 demo yesterday and as a part of the spiel there was a map of the world showing where thermomix is used across the world. I made a point of looking at the US and it was definitely coloured to show it is used there....I wonder if this is a sign that Vorwerk will be going into the US very soon.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »
Well if they are showing  that tmx is being used in the US, then it's misleading and deceptive conduct according to the Trade Practices Act because it's not allowed to be sold here.
From Perth WA

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 11:46:32 pm »
I believe some folks in the USA have purchased them in Canada but as far as I know, they are not for sale in the US.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 01:43:13 pm »
Just thought I'd let you know that the Thermoserver comes from China....

My DD got some boxes (for packing) from a friend who's neighbour works at Thermomix in Perth. They had 'Made in China' all over them.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
TMX in USA?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 04:59:13 pm »
I went to a TM5 demo yesterday and as a part of the spiel there was a map of the world showing where thermomix is used across the world.   .....

I have been told that the difference between this Flipchart and the previous one, is that previously the green coloured where Thermomix is found and the current map depicts where Vorwerk products in general are found. 
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Azure111

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:01:44 pm »
Just thought I'd let you know that the Thermoserver comes from China....

My DD got some boxes (for packing) from a friend who's neighbour works at Thermomix in Perth. They had 'Made in China' all over them.

My 1.0L thermoserver says "Made in Taiwan". 

Offline Azure111

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:02:54 pm »
I believe some folks in the USA have purchased them in Canada but as far as I know, they are not for sale in the US.

Yes and No.  There is a way to purchase one in the US if you look hard enough.   ;)  (I don't mean ebay either)

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 10:29:57 pm »
What do you mean exactly?
From Perth WA