Author Topic: Cranberry Hootycreeks  (Read 40189 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Cranberry Hootycreeks
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:00:44 am »
I have been planning on making several “Cookies in a jar” gifts for Xmas this year and experimenting with different recipes and came across a recipe for Cranberry Hootycreeks – I had no idea what on earth they were, or what they were going to be like, I just loved the name!

Anyway, I did a trial run yesterday – checking how the measurements looked in a jar then mixing up and cooking the recipe to check on taste as well and they are delicious.  The volume didn’t quite fill the jar so I added a few extra cranberries and walnuts (I didn’t have pecans) and stuffed some tissues in the top to take up the slack.

Cranberry Hootycreeks

1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup chopped pecans

Makes 18 cookies

Layer the ingredients in a 1 litre jar, in the order listed.

Attach a tag with the following instructions:

Preheat oven to (175°C FF). Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, beat together 110 gm softened butter, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla until fluffy.  Add the entire jar of ingredients, and mix together by hand until well blended.  Drop heaped spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges start to brown. Cool on baking sheets, or remove to cool on wire racks.

This recipe came from allrecipes.com
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cranberry-Hootycreeks/Detail.aspx?evt19=1&scale=18&ismetric=1

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:06:56 am by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cranberry Hootycreeks
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:08:55 am »
Thanks Marina, nice that you did a trial run as well.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:51:20 am »
Marina - how could anyone NOT fall in love with these with a name like that!!  Many thanks!!  Have added  this recipe to what to make for Christmas gifts!! ;D

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24:29 am »
Say what????  ;) Love the name.

As luck would have it, I just stocked up on cranberries and white choc chips today...meant to be.  Now to find suitable jars...
I don't have any pecans either but will surely have something in the cupboard to substitute.

Thanks Marina.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:04:25 am »
Great name for a cookie :D :D Marina just a query,you have listed all purpose flour in the ingredients twice.1 cup then after the oats another 1/2 cup.Is it to make it more layered?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:18:49 am »
I love it. I was planning on giving a special friend cookies in a jar and wondering what to do. It will be these. I'll also make them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:19:15 am »
Great name for a cookie :D :D Marina just a query,you have listed all purpose flour in the ingredients twice.1 cup then after the oats another 1/2 cup.Is it to make it more layered?
Yes, I think it is just to make another layer to cover or protect the rolled oats, otherwise the sugar would trickle through the rolled oats.  Come to think of it, I don't think there is any reason why the two flour layers couldn't be the same depth, it's up to yourself really.  It makes no difference whatsoever in the long run.

The finished cookies are lovely and soft / chewy on the inside and just a little crispy on the outside, just as I like them.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 01:08:48 pm »
Thanks Marina.I like the idea of the same depth of the flours when you make the layers ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »
I was also thinking overnight that you could layer all the flour then the brown sugar, white sugar, rolled oats, etc.  I think it would very possibly work better that way - the layers would be more defined.  I'll try that this weekend when I make up my Xmas jars.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 07:15:18 pm »
Thanks Marina.  You have just solved a problem for me.  Each of the GD will be getting one of these for Xmas. 

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 03:34:18 am »
Well, I have just made one batch in my favourite moccona coffee jars

And because I thought it would be easier to just pop the jar on my kitchen scales next time, I weighed as I went:

130g all purpose flour
50g rolled oats
65g all purpose flour
˝ tsp baking soda
˝ tsp salt
65g packed brown sugar
60g white sugar
70g dried cranberries
80g white chocolate chips
omitted the pecans because I didn’t have any…plus the jar was full.  Hopefully they will still be nice - might put on the directions that nuts can be added if desired.

About to go and make 2 more jars with DS  ;D
Thanks again Marina
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 03:35:59 am »
Oh, and the "white sugar" was actually raw sugar ground in the tmx as I don't have any white at the moment
Jo

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 03:50:25 am »
That looks good Jo.  Thanks for the weight conversions, that is so handy.  My jar was obviously a little larger than yours; those Moccona jars are really great aren't they.  For your next ones, you could try tamping the layers down a bit and that will give you a bit more room for nuts - I used the (clean) lid of an upturned baking oil spray can to do this.

Have you tried baking a batch yet?

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 04:03:17 am »
I did squish them down a bit with the back of a spoon, but maybe need to get a bit tougher  ;)
I haven't baked any yet - I already have a batch of milo bikkies that we are getting through, but I do have to make some kind of choc chip cookie later in the week for the school sausage sizzle on Friday, so these might be on the menu.

Yes, they are my most favourite jars - milo doesn't go solid in them.  One of my crafty things is glass etching, and also vinyl labels so I have done some of these up as labeled pantry jars and am always collecting them - fortunately my mum and sister drink moccona!
Jo

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 07:43:49 am »
Thanks for this recipe. I have just put it together for a morning tea Christmas gift tomorrow. I found some Christmas paper and typed the instructions onto that. The container wasn't quite full so I copied and put a few tissues in with the instructions on the top.

Such a lovely gift and quick and simple to put together.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/