Author Topic: Swedish meatballs - Meat on the Menu Cookbook  (Read 26254 times)

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
Swedish meatballs - Meat on the Menu Cookbook
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »
Recipe Name:  Swedish meatballs
Book Name:  Meat on the Menu Cookbook
Tweaking details:  none
Review:

A very tasty dish.  I made this exactly as per the recipe.  My one tip would be if serving more than 2 very hungry adults and a child (as we were), double the meatball mixture.  There was plenty of sauce and enough meatballs say for 3 adult main meals but any more than that and I would double just the meat, not the sauce.  I would also suggest that you do not replace the dill with another herb as the dill gives the meatballs their distinctive swedish flavour (I used dill).  I love a recipe where the sauce cooks in the bowl and the rest cooks in the Varoma.

Score: 5/5 definitely make again.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
Re: Swedish meatballs - Meat on the Menu Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 01:44:45 pm »
Thanks for the review, will definitely try this one now :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »
Thanks VYY, love the way reviews are flowing in for this meat cookbook.  I have stickers everywhere in that book now with notes of reviews or any changes.  I tried to grow dill but it was the one herb that died on me  :'( :'(
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:31:49 am »
Thanks for the review.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:50:51 am »
Thanks - seems there are some gems in the MOTM cookbook
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:39:12 am »
Appreciate the review - was planning to try this recipe and probably would have changed the dill for something else as I don't currently have any so appreciate the tip to make sure not to change it. Thanks.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 02:06:58 pm »
Made this tonight and took versaceyoyoy's advice and doubled the meat (teenage boy eats 2 adult serves!!). Still had plenty of sauce left over. My sauce was still fairly runny and not sure if it didn't reduce as much as it should due to the varoma being so full or if it was suppose to be like that. I think I will add a bit more cornflour next time. A really easy and tasty dish that we all liked.
5/5
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:06 am »
Could someone please post or pm this recipe? My kids love sweedish meatballs but just can't get the MOTM cookbook at the moment.

Thanks, Nadine

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:08 am »
Will do Wonder.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:53 am »
Thanks Judy

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 03:01:00 pm »
I made this tonight. Something didn't go right.......

Recipe called for 480g mince, I had 650g or there abouts.  I didn't change anything else.  So I had a bit more meatballs, but not as much as double.  I made the meatballs in the afternoon, and stuck them in the fridge to cook later.  After cooking for 25 minutes as in the recipe, they meatballs in the tray were clearly not cooked. But then I had more meatballs.....so I cooked in 5 minutes intervals.  After an extra 20 minutes I gave up and threw them in the frying pan to finish off.

They tasted fine.  Plus my DH went to Ikea tonight after work to get something, so I got him to grab a jar of lingonberry jam.  Sad to say that was probably the highlight of the dish for me.  But then we were having dinner late, and then the cooking time just blew out.  Plus my TMX whistled again, which I am trying to figure out if it is the whistle that others have described as being ok.....
So maybe I have just had enough for today...........

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 02:54:10 am »
Made this last night as my first dish in the Varoma.  We weren't fans.  I followed the recipe exactly but mine weren't done after the 20 minutes.  May have made the balls too big, I'm not sure.  I had to give them an extra 15 mins.

They went down well with the children - I think they really liked the very soft texture - but not with the adults.  Flavourwise they were fine but I think I would have preferred them cooked in the frypan.  I've never had steamed meatballs before and they really were a bit mushy for me (and hubby).  Not helped by the fact that I served them with mashed potato and soft vegetables.  If I were to do it again, they'd need to be served with something with a lot of crunch.

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 05:14:41 am »
I'm glad that I am not the only one that had to cook for almost twice as long as the recipe!

We had the leftovers for dinner last night, and I think that they were tastier 2nd time around.
Lingonberry jam rocks though......... mental note - next time at IKEA grab a couple of jars, and some Daim bars.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:18:31 am »
Sorry BB - I love the soft texture  :(  But often give them a flash in a hot pan with some oil for MrsT.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:12:47 pm »
Horses for courses, I guess.   :D

Thanks for the suggestion.  If I ever get back to this recipe, I'll give it a go (but with so many new things to try that's probably going to take a while.   ;D)