Author Topic: Pasteurized eggs in the tmx  (Read 34199 times)

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
Pasteurized eggs in the tmx
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:18:14 pm »
Lots of recipes calls for raw eggs(mousse, mayonnaisse, icecream,etc.) which usually involves a small risk of getting salmonella in the food.
For restaurants in most countries its forbidden to use raw eggs unless they have been pasteurized.

Usually i use my oven to pasteurize as i use large quantities and they do not fit in the TMX. My oven is a combo oven which can produce steam at a very precise temperature ex.60 Celsius. 

If you are going to use raw eggs and want to minimize the risk of getting salmonella you should pasteurized your eggs before you using them.

Its pretty simple and dosnt take a lot of time and for dishes where you have to whip the eggs its actually improves the process as warm eggs can contain more air.

To pasteurize your eggs fill the tmx with water and insert the basket. Put the temperature at 60 and when the temperature reaches 60 add your whole eggs and put timer on 3-4 minutes. Let them chill a bit before you use them.

Dont worry about the egg coagulating cause the whites coagulates at 65 celsius and the yolks at 70.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: Pasteurized eggs in the tmx
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »
Good to know - thanks for the tip!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:53:00 am »
thx bluesed, thats a nice easy way of doing it
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:56:37 am »
The whole science behind cooking and food preparation is fascinating.  I love reading little snippets like that - I have never given any thought to what temperature an egg needs to cook, etc.  I've always just stuck it into the pot, waited the requisite period of time and, Hey Presto!!! there's the egg as I want it.  Thanks for that insight bluesed
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:04:35 am »
Thanks for that info.  I'm another one here that uses our own home grown eggs if possible.

On a side note aren't most store bought eggs pasteurised these days?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:14:43 am »
Do they need to be?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:26:48 am »
No, most eggs that you buy in stores are not pasteurized unless its written. The eggs are in some countries washed but that is not the same and dosnt kill salmonella bacterias.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:15:31 am »
This is such an interesting topic.  I contracted salmonella overseas and never ever want to get it again!  Interestingly I caught salmonella in Ethiopia (and people weren't surprised), but at the same time there was a breakout in a bakery in a town near us in Tassie. You never know!

Cookie the risk of contracting salmonella in Australia is quite low, but we all need to take precautions and take it very seriously.  It can be difficult to treat depending on the strain you catch (mine took over 6 weeks of extremely strong anti-biotics to get under control) and can damage internal organs.

At Christmas time I was in the dog-house for throwing out my Aunts homemade uncooked mayo.  It had sat on the table for hours though and I wasn't happy for her to use it again.  In Tasmania a few years ago a group of people became extremely ill with salmonella after eating mayo at a catered function. That is why our consultants aren't able to use raw egg whites in their demos and why it is taken very seriously here.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:29:25 am »
That's interesting Chelsea. I had a couple of children in my class come down with salmonella. They were very sick. The school canteen was closed and all sorts of things. It turned out one of the children had a pet rabbit and that is where it had come from. The other child had visited them and played with the rabbit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 07:22:38 am »
Good to know. I think I will pasteurize the eggs I use for mayonnaise in future. I do give some of it away and you never know how other people will treat it.
Thanks!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:49:52 am »
This may be a bit of a daft question - but if you pasteurise your eggs prior to making mayonnaise, does that lengthen the shelf life?  Can anyone tell me what is the shelf life of mayonnaise?

Thanks
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 11:20:38 pm »
So does this mean we should be pasteurising our eggs before we use them in say, Fruity Dream?

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 11:01:56 am »
There is a risk associated with eating raw eggs in any recipe. It is up to each individual really.  :)

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:15:26 pm »
Using pasteurized eggs does not prolong the eggs life or any dish you prepare with them. It only removes the risk of catching salmonella. 

For restaurants it is a must to use pasteurized eggs but at home its is your choice. The chances of catching salmonella isnt high and even less using fresh eggs that has been stored at max. 5 Celsius.

If an egg has the salmonella virus it can either be on the outside of the shell or in few cases in the inside(in a thin layer under the shell). The elder the egg is the higher concentration of salmonella can be present. Salmonella breeds the most at 38 Celsius so keeping your eggs or your prepared dish cold is important if you have not used pasteurized eggs.
If a person is healthy the immune system will defeat small amounts of salmonella but the higher concentration the higher risk of catching a bad salmonella infection.

Freezing dishes with raw eggs does not kill salmonella if its present it only slows down the process of breeding. So for ice cream you should use pasteurized eggs as well if you want to be sure.

For dishes prepared using raw eggs that you want to store for more then 1 day i would always use pasteurized eggs.

Offline Emma H

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 10:27:28 am »
just saw this! thankyou for posting this, i am pregnant so having to avoid things with raw eggs, but if i pasturise them first i will be fine? (as in we are told we can eat store brought mayo etc as the egg in it has been pasturised) but cannot have home made mayo as it contains raw ege?