Author Topic: Slow rise bread  (Read 4652 times)

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Slow rise bread
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:05:20 am »
Can someone - in very simple terms! - give me a recipe for a slow rise or soaked grain (are these the same things?!) bread please.  I do make the no-knead bread and love it but want one that is more 'bready' in texture and that I can just bake in a bread tin.

Thanking you

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Slow rise bread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:27:54 am »
I am sure we can help,  but more details needed for the type of bread you want.  Grains ,texture,  how long for rising.?  Which 'no-knead' one do you make?

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »
I do the:

3 c flour
1.5 c water
tbsp salt and tbsp oil
1/4 tsp yeast

rise 12-20 hours (doubled in size)

pop in floured tea towl in dutch oven 40 mins

remove tea towl, put in 225 preheated oven in dutch oven with lid on 30 mins and lid off 15 mins

Fabulous easy bread. Can muck arount with the recipe heaps and itr works. Fabulous with 1/2c olives in it.

I am easy on what grains - I guess I want a more 'normal' bread texture and to be able to cook it in a loaf tin. I just want to make sure the grains are as easy to digest as possible as my 4yro has a few gut issues and I think that these will be better for her.

:)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:59:02 pm »
My standard recipe is as follows:

500g Laucke Bread Flour
300g warm water
2 tsp dried instant yeast
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp pepitas
1 Tbsp Flax seeds
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp Lecithin (you can skip this if you want or throw an egg in)
2 tsp sesame seeds
2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp natural bread improver (optional)

Mix on  :: for 8 minutes. Either turn out into an oiled glass or SS bowl and cover with cloth or leave in TMX for about 2 hours or until doubled. A warm car, window sill or oven that has been on for a little while and is now turned off is a good place.
Knead by hand or on dough setting for 2 - 3 minutes. Dived dough in half and roll each half into a ball. Place both dough balls  in large bread tin and cover with a cloth. Leave in warm place for another 2 hours or until past the top of the tin.
Place in pre-heated oven at 250C. Turn down to 225C and cook for 20 minutes. Turn out of tin and cook for a further 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:42:47 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:07:35 am »
MJ,  this is a meal in a slice.  Looks great.
Zebraa,  I soak the grain over night,   then drain, and in fresh water boil the grain for about 10 mins.   When cold , drain and place in small freezer bags and when making bread, add 1 bag to flour mix.
For a real 'bready' texture i like sour dough.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:05:00 am »
Thanks meganjane - that looks great - but I am after recipes that rise for at least 6 hours, preferably longer. Maybe  I just need to do sourdough? Gawwwwd, that seems so much work feeding it all the time!

acw - so with soaked grains - you don't whizz them up? How much - approx in weight would each bag be that you add to a loaf? Would you reduce the recipe - eg the one above by that amount of flour? It looks pretty doable - esp when you freeze them in batches.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:22:14 am »
Zabraa,  a couple of comments...
 1.    That loaf that you make is obviously very wet,  and has very little yeast,   therefore the long rise.
 2.    I knead most of my bread in the TMX for 4/5 mins.
 3.    The soaked grain is also wet and needs more flour to get the texture of the dough right
 4.    Kneading in the TMX breaks down the grain.

You are going to have to experiment, as we all look for different things in a loaf.    Start with the loaf that you are making and change the formula a little.   Make sure you write it down.  Hope this helps.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 06:23:33 am »
One suggestion would be to reduce the amount of yeast.  Maybe by half?  I recall a No_knead ciabatta recipe that allowed for slow rising?  Just a thought.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 03:02:45 am »
Chookie's rustic bread is a very slow riser, is that suitable? It is also very tasty.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/