Author Topic: Sour dough waffles  (Read 3660 times)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Sour dough waffles
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:02:27 am »
I very quickly looked for a waffle recipe last night and found one from breadtopia.  It is delicious, slightly tweaked. I didn't convert it to the TM - would be very easy to do, but I wanted to go to bed, didnt have time to wait for the TM to cool down!  So I melted the butter and milk together, then sat the saucepan in cold water to cool it quickly. Next time, I will use the TM.

Recipe made 10 waffles using 1/3 cup mixture for each one.

Heat the following in a pan until the butter is melted and then let cool to room temperature.
4 oz (1/2 cup or 115 g) butter
8 oz (1 cup or 225 g) milk

Add the milk-butter mixture to:
one cup or 255g white starter
1 tsp salt
1 teas raw sugar
1 and1/2 cups or 170 g all purpose flour - I used 1/2 corn flour and one cup flour

Mix these together to form a thick batter, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 8-14 hours. If you do this before going to bed, you’ll have the batter ready for breakfast the next day.

Preheat your waffle iron.

Uncover the batter and whisk in 2 large eggs and 1/4 tsp baking soda. Pour 1/3 cup of batter on the hot waffle iron and close the lid. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crisp.

These are lovely, light and crisp. I served them with our usual toppings - yogurt, pepitas, sunflower seeds etc. have the remainder in the freezer, will reheat in a moderate dry frypan.

This mixture can also be used for pancakes.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Sour dough waffles
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 03:32:16 am »
Elle,  sounds simple.  Overnight is a good method.  Thanks for posting.
I have been wondering about using the starter with the Carb soda and an egg.  Will try when I have time.  

I have adapted a recipe from Yoke for SD waffles,  way back in 2012.  Yours looks simpler and better.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:38:07 am by achookwoman »