Author Topic: Moussaka  (Read 28733 times)

Offline Mandie

• View Profile
Moussaka
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:20:10 am »
Name of Recipe: Moussaka
Number of People: 5
Ingredients:

800g of mined lamb
 ▪ 800g aubergine
 ▪ 1 onion
 ▪ 1 can of tomatoes 425g
 ▪ 40g flour
 ▪ 40g butter
 ▪ 500g Milk
 ▪ 1 pinch of nutmeg
 ▪ Salt and pepper
 ▪ 30 g olive oil
 ▪ Pinch of Mixed Herbs

Preparation:

Place the chopped onion in the bowl and chop for a few seconds.
Add the olive oil and cook for 5 mins 100º speed 1
Add the minced lamb and cook for 10 mins, temp 100º speed 1
Add the tomatoes, mixed herbs and salt & pepper.
Place the cut aubergines (in discs) in the varoma-. Cook both mix and aubergines for 20 mins temp 100º counter clockwise speed 1. The place aside.

White Sauce

Add the flour, butter, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper into the bowl. Cook for 6 mins 90º speed 4.
Then in an oven proof dish, add a layer of meat, then a layer of aubergine, then a layer of white sauce. Sprinkle lots of grated cheese on the top.

Place in oven, 180ºC for 40 mins.

members' comments

varoomkook -  found it had to much liquid so next time I shall add cornflour to the meat to thicken. The taste was absolutely out of this world the whole family loved it and went back for seconds.

CP - The family liked this one but I may be overpicky. I didn't have 800g of aubergine but even so, the varoma was chockers and I had to take a couple of slices out. The varoma dish didn't even get a steam up so it was uncooked and the the mince was very broken up like desiccated coconut by the time it had finished in the TM. I put the aubergine down the bottom, then the meat, then the sauce. Perhaps it was something I did like overcrowd the varoma but I still prefer the FSA recipe which is also Vegetarian for a nice change from meat eating. Made a huge lasagne dish and fed 5 people with 2 small serves left over for lunch today.

LizzieO - a great success. I used one and half quantities of the white sauce and cooked it as per gf recipe using cornflour for the sauce. While I was cooking the meat and veg I heated the milk up in a pot (oh yes there ARE other ways to heat things up) with half an onion, cloves, cinnamon and a bay leaf, turned it off, then after everything was ready to go strained it into the TMX, made the sauce with the superbly flavoured milk, very nice tooooooo. I loved the way the steamed potato slice stayed nicely intact so were easy to spread over the meat and aubergine.

Merlin - it was amazing. I only had 600g lamb mince and this worked out really well ie not too liquidy. The white sauce I made with gluten free plain flour and since I have had my diagnosis of coeliac disease I have never had white sauce this good in my life (even before my diagnosis!!). The only problem with the recipe was the eggplants could have done with a longer steaming time in the Varoma particularly as I thought I had sliced them thinly enough to steam properly.Thoroughly recommend making this one again - even for dinner parties! Oh and one of my 4 y.o. twins who is veggie phobic absolutely devoured the moussaka not even realising there was eggplant in it. Maybe it was the white sauce and grated cheese on top that disguised it though!

Thermie Crew - This recipe is absolutely delicious! I too found that not all of the eggplant fitted into the varoma. I was initially concerned too that it hadn't been cooked enough BUT once it had been baked in the oven it was cooked to perfection. I made the moussaka with some freshly minced lamb in thermie and combined with this great recipe, it was easily the nicest moussaka I've ever eaten!

Nay-nay - We have substituted this meal for lasagna in the weekly regime - I feel healthier for it but I do always have layers of potatoes as well as the egg plant and I always add an egg into the white sauce at the end of cooking - So yummy!

O2K - a big hit.  Didn't see your tips Nay-Nay till after but I like the idea of using an egg into the white sauce - will do it next time.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:33:32 am by judydawn »

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
Re: Moussaka
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:32:05 am »
This recipe sounds yum so going to do this week.   The can of tomatoes in the recipe is that 425g or 800g tin?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:03:35 am »
I'd go with the 425g (1 lb) tin. 

Mandie has not been online since Sept 15, but hopefully you enquiry will get her actvie here again.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:07:24 am »
Thanks for that.   I like extra sauce but I find with the thermomix you never need to add much. ;)

Offline varoomkook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:51:57 am »

hi I made the moussaka in my thermomix and found it had to much  liquid, so next time i shall ad cornflour to the meat to thick but the taste was absolutely out of this world the whole family loved it and  went back for seconds.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 10:29:54 am »
I might give this one a go if you have given it the thumbs up. There is also a lovely Lentil Moussaka also in the Full Steam Ahead p. 132.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 01:15:09 pm »
I do the one in the Gluten Free cookbook but use 650g mince - it is delicious too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:30:19 am »
The family liked this one, but I may be overpicky  :-)). I didn't have 800g of aubergine, but even so the varoma was chockers and I had to take a couple of slices out. The varoma dish didn't even get a steam up so it was uncooked and the the mince was very broken up like dessicated coconut by the time it had finished in the TM. I put the aubergine down the bottom, then the meat, then the sauce. Perhaps it was something I did like overcrowd the varoma, but I still prefer the FSA recipe which is also Vegetarian for a nice change from meat eating. Made a huge lasagne dish, and fed 5 people with 2 small serves left over for lunch today.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:57:23 am »
Welcome varoomkook - hope the family like some other creations too.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline lizzieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:31:20 am »
Made the moussaka tonight, a great success. I used one and half quantities of the white sauce and cooked it as per gf recipe using cornflour for the sauce. While I was cooking the meat and veg I heated the milk up in a pot (oh yes there ARE other ways to heat things up) with half an onion, cloves, cinnamon and a bay leaf, turned it off, then after everything was ready to go strained it into the TMX, made the sauce with the superbly flavoured milk, very nice tooooooo. I loved the way the steamed potato slice stayed nicely intact so were easy to spread over the meat and aubergine.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:00:33 am »
I made this last night and it was amazing. I only had 600g lamb mince and this worked out really well ie not too liquidy. The white sauce I made with gluten free plain flour and since I have had my diagnosis of coeliac disease I have never had white sauce this good in my life (even before my diagnosis!!). The only problem with the recipe was the eggplants could have done with a longer steaming time in the Varoma particularly as I thought I had sliced them thinly enough to steam properly.Thoroughly recommend making this one again- even for dinner parties! Oh and one of my 4 y.o. twins who is veggie phobic absolutely devoured the moussaka not even realising there was eggplant in it. Maybe it was the white sauce and grated cheese on top that disguised it though!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 03:17:09 am »
DD would love this, I'm not an eggplant fan so she may not get it when I'm cooking. :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 05:27:00 am »
I'm not either Cookie but if you cut it into small pieces, you will hardly notice it mixed in with the mince.  Everyone loves it in our household.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:17:06 am »
Thanks. Possibly worth a try IF I ever run out of things to cook.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:29:25 am »

The white sauce I made with gluten free plain flour and since I have had my diagnosis of coeliac disease I have never had white sauce this good in my life (even before my diagnosis!!).

Good to hear - that is a big plus for the TMX -white sauce which NEVER has lumps.
Thermomixer in Australia